Writing Under Stress by Jana Richards


March has been a stressful month. My husband had surgery on February 28 and after a few days in the hospital, came home to recover. He’s doing really well, but it’s not been easy. He needs help with some things and it requires patience and humour from both of us. 

In the midst of my worry over my husband, Layla, one of the two soon-to-be-fourteen year-old cats we adopted last fall, got sick. She couldn’t stop throwing up and was off her feed. I took her to the veterinarian, and when I got back, her sister Leelou hissed at her like she’d never met her before. Leelou has an absolute hatred for vets and vet clinics; did Layla suddenly smell like the clinic? I have no idea, but it meant that Leelou was hiding in the basement and Layla was hiding upstairs and refusing to go the litterbox in the basement. Good grief. The last thing I needed.

Even something that should have been a celebration stressed me out. Because of Covid, my daughter’s 2020 university graduation ceremony was cancelled. On March 11 the university held a special convocation for 2020 and 2021 graduates. My daughter deserved to celebrate graduating as a nurse practitioner and I wanted to be there for her. I just couldn’t help worrying about my husband at home by himself. Of course he said he was fine, but still, I worried.

The worst is that the urge to write just isn’t there. I’ve always found that if I’m emotionally unsettled, I can’t write. I don’t even feel much like doing small marketing projects. Everything feels overwhelming.

I’m trying to give myself some grace. Last summer a bout of burnout hit me hard, and it sidelined my writing for weeks. So, to head off a repeat performance, I searched the Internet for some suggestions in battling stress. Here are a few suggestions I’ve found: 

1. Get more physical activity. According to MayoClinic.org  almost any kind of physical activity can act as a stress reliever. Unfortunately, when I get stressed out, I tend to shut down. I was walking outside most days or on a treadmill at the gym on colder days. But after my husband came home from the hospital, I stopped. I’m not even certain why. The benefits of exercise were brought home to me when I had to shovel snow after a bad storm. Clearly, my husband couldn’t do it, so it was up to me. I’d felt overwhelmed before I went outside, but the fresh air and the physical exertion worked wonders. My outlook and my mood greatly improved. 

2. Follow a healthy diet. I know I’m supposed to do this, but when I’m stressed or worried, I tend to reach for junk food and carbs. According to the online site Healthline, “studies show that people who follow a diet high in ultra-processed foods and added sugar are more likely to experience higher perceived stress levels.” Your body can’t overcome stress if you’re not properly nourished. So I’m going to make an effort to eat my veggies.

3. Practice Self-Care.  Healthline offers suggestions for self care such as going for a walk, having a massage, using aromatherapy, taking part in a hobby or practicing yoga. I already practice yoga and enjoy it. Both the massage and the aromatherapy are options that appeal to me.

4. Practice Deep Breathing. Deep breathing activates the body’s relaxation response and helps to counteract some of the physical sensations of stress. I often practice deep breathing in my yoga classes but rarely outside of class. Maybe it’s time to start.

5. Mediation. WebMD says that mediation has been around for 5000 years for a reason. It can lower stress, anxiety and chronic pain, and improve sleep, energy levels and mood. Whenever I’ve tried mediation in the past, my mind wanders terribly. Since so many people swear by it. I should give it another shot.

I’ve come up with a mantra this month: I am strong. I can do it. I try to remind myself of that when I’m feeling overwhelmed. I hope it helps me get back to writing very soon.

What have you found to be the best stress reliever for you?

*Author’s Note: I’m feeling better then when I first wrote this blog. As my husband improves, my mood improves, too. But writing about my stress and trying to do something about it was beneficial. Hopefully, the writing will come back soon. And the cats have stopped fighting!

Comments

  1. You are strong and you can do it! Oh, but it's hard sometimes, and so many things gather up at once. It sounds like you and your husband have a handle on being better going forward. The writing...the have-to stuff...will be there when you're ready for it. Hugs, Jana!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. We've had some setbacks but things are slowly getting better. Hopefully, the writing will come back soon.

      Delete
  2. I can so relate, Jana. Take care of you, my friend, and that allows you to take care of others and whatever else needs taking care of. FWIW, I use a fantastic app called Insight Timer (https://insighttimer.com/) for meditation each morning right after I get up. It can really set me up for the day. Hugs to you, sweetie, and healing light to your husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Nan. I really appreciate everyone's good wishes. I am definitely going to try out your mediation app. Sounds like something I could use.

      Delete
  3. You've got this. Like Nan and Liz said, look out for you as well. Find your moments of tranquility, even if it's just a brief respite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you're right about looking after myself. Can't look after anyone else if I don't look after myself. Thanks Margie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are strong and you can do it...when you're ready to. Sometimes we need to step away, and for an extended period of time. You've had your plate full, Jana. Give yourself a break. Maybe that should be stress release # 6: Stop beating yourself up. Thoughts and prayers, friend.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment