I Wish You Knew...

 by Margie Senechal

I've been thinking about writing down memories for my kids and I keep coming back to this subject for the first chapter. Things I wish someone had told me.

My grandparents never told me how getting old hurts. How body parts you've abused, neglected, and taken for granted start giving out on you. And I was pretty close to my grandparents. I grew up next door to them and really, my grandma wasn't one to mince words. She, by no means, wasn't a lovey-dovey grandma who baked cookies and showered you with hugs and kisses. 

No. She was more like a Disney witch but instead of a wand, she waved around a cigarette with an ash stream longer than the actual cigarette. She hushed you before you got past the door and snarled if you interrupted her 'shows'. I like to think she'd been happy bursting any of delusions of growing old gracefully.

So, here's a few things I'd like to share with anyone younger than me.

Most importantly, take care of your body while you still can. Get out into the fresh air, take a hike, eat better, do a cartwheel. Cartwheel? Yes, a cartwheel. Because one day you'll see a picture of Marcia Cross--in her 50's--doing a cartwheel on the beach and wonder why you stopped doing cartwheels. Not that I was ever good at cartwheels, but I did a passable round-off.

Explore. Explore places. Explore things that interest you. Take a class just because it makes you dream of something more. Read about places and subjects that interest you. Last month I bought a National Geographic special edition about Pirates. Not because I'm going to become one (I sort of wish) but because I want to know more than the Jack Sparrow's of cinema can tell me. And who knows, I might find a story in there somewhere.

Don't be afraid to take chances. Whether it's skydiving (never) or leaving a job without a safety net (yep). If your soul needs it, take the leap. When I left Walgreens in 2014, my soul definitely needed it. Starting over at Burlington and working my way back up restored my faith in me. 

Strive to be happy. Mr. Ray, my 9th grade journalism advisor wrote that in my yearbook. I don't remember any other autographs I got in all my school years, but I do remember that. I'd like to think I'm still following that advice. Find your happy and everything else pretty much settles around you like a soft mist on an early morning.

I'm sure there's many more and maybe I'll do a refresh further down the road, but it's a start. Have a great weekend and share your "wish you knew" with me.

Comments

  1. I wish I'd known how much I was going to enjoy being retired, how busy I'd be. How satisfied. I loved your post, Margie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Liz! And good to know about retirement ;)

      Delete
  2. You so perfectly described your Grandma as I knew her! Thanks for the reminder Margie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Holly! I'm so glad you enjoyed the look back ;)

      Delete
  3. Sorry your Grandma wasn't what most think Grandma's to be. Probably trauma from her childhood. Great story. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved my grandmother a lot. She wasn't perfect, by any means, but who is? And growing up nextdoor, I probably knew my grandparents better than most kids get the chance to, flaws and all.

      Delete
  4. Such a great post, Margie. One of my grandmothers was very much the baking cookies kind. She gave little indication of aches and pains as she got older. In fact, when she was in her late eighties and in a senior's residence, she had them dig up a large piece of land behind the residence so she could have a big garden. She grew vegetables for everyone. I want to be like Granny as I get older, especially since she lived to 96 and had all her marbles till the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While my grandparents lived on one side of us, my great-great Aunt Marge lived on the oher side. She wasn't able to have children and she lived to be 95 on her own. A few days before she was diagnosed with cancer, she was raking her yard. She fixed her own dinners and still had her memories and her mind intact. She was amazing and our goal setter for growing old gracefully.

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful, heartfelt post, Margie!! Your writing is always so thought provoking and poignant. I just love it. Thanks for the reminder of what we should do today so that there will be fewer, "I wish I had(s)" in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I had known how wonderful it is to travel, meeting new friends seeing new sights. Now that it's not so simple I appreciate it much more . Love your blog kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! There's so many places I'd love to see--even just here in our neck of the woods :)
      Thank you, Judy!

      Delete

Post a Comment