Pulled in Several Directions by Jana Richards

Photo by Meritt Thomas on Unsplash

Spring always comes as a surprise here on the Canadian prairies—one day there’s snow on the ground and the next you’re mowing the lawn. Don’t get me wrong. Spring’s a good surprise, and a welcome one, especially after a long winter. But it brings its own challenges.

The trouble with having long winters and short summers is that so much has to packed into those precious good weather days. Now that I don’t have the excuse that it’s too cold, I’ve got work to do.

So far, we’ve stained a fence, swept out the garage and driveway and washed windows. Well, most of the windows. I still have my office window to clean. And I also need to purchase and plant more bedding plants for the front yard. The deck needs to be stained but I’m giving that job to my husband; he’s recovered from his surgery in February and is feeling good, which is a blessing. We’ll see if he gets around to the staining this spring.

Bedding plants waiting to be planted 

Last year we had so much rain in April and May that we weren’t able to do much outside until June. We postponed many of those maintenance things for another spring. I didn’t wash windows last year so they were extra dirty. Embarrassingly so. And if I’m being honest, we postponed staining the fence for about five years because neither of us wanted to do it! 

Spring of 2023 has turned out to be the time of getting things done.

Everything’s getting done but my writing, it seems. I feel pulled in many directions, and writing doesn't always come out on top.

Our newly stained fence.

I read Nan’s recent post about being at the lake. She talked about the work she and her husband accomplished, but she also mentioned that she got some writing done first. I have to admit I envy her discipline. I’ve been lacking that kind of discipline for some time now. Writing has felt like one step forward and two steps back. But at least it hasn’t come to a complete standstill like it did last summer.

I want to enjoy the good weather this summer and have some fun, but I also want to write. We’ll see which goal wins out.

Okay, I’ve really rambled. That’s kind of how my brain’s been operating lately. What do you do to keep focused on your goals when you get pulled in several directions? I’d love to get your thoughts.

Comments

  1. Focus is never, ever my strong point, so I have no good thoughts to share, but I love a rambling post. It gives such insight into us as writers. I do agree that Nan is just disgustingly organized, and I'll admit that's how she gets so much done; I'm lucky just to show up! Great post, Judy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I was disgustingly organized! I know Nan has spoken of getting up at 5am to write. I've tried and just can't make myself do it. I'm barely coherent at that time of day. Best I can do is 7am with several cups of coffee.

      Delete

Post a Comment