What Now? by Liz Flaherty

I feel fragile. 

There, how was that for a way to get started? I've finished my story for the Lights, Camera, Christmas Town! addition to the Christmas town collection that will be released in October.  The other day, I wrote The End to Maggie North's women's fiction story, Pieces of  Blue. In recent months, I've withdrawn the Second Chances Series from its publisher so that it's no longer available. 

What now?

I pin so much on age these days...actually, these years. I no longer get down on the floor because I can't get up without help. I gave up on having a waistline. Nine-thirty is the new midnight. My kids are actually my age now, because they can't possibly be as old as their birth certificates insist they are. My birth certificate, however, is on a stone tablet, so...

This particular place I am, though, has little to do with age. 

In first grade, the earliest time I was ever actually by myself, unattended by either parents or siblings, I was wobbly and scared and I think fragile. I don't remember anything about that first day other than opening the first little Dick and Jane paperback reader and seeing the word Look. I read that over and over, and I thought, What now?

When I graduated from high school, with no possible way to even consider further education, I got a job and left home, seeking independence at any cost. I went through numerous jobs, went back home a time or two and left again. I loved being on my own, although I wasn't good at it. 

Life as a young, single woman and then a young single mom was full of perils, potholes, and pinpricks that kept me both certain I would shatter at whatever the next thing was and determined that I would not. I wrote in notebooks, long destroyed, about what was ahead of me in my life gone out of control What now?

When I got serious about writing fiction, the first 50 or so rejections sent me into a tailspin I thought I'd never find my way out of. One story I've told often enough it doesn't bear repeating left me unable to write a single printable word for months on end. Before I'd ever been published, I was broken as a writer. What now? I thought, staring at the blank screen in front of me. What do I do now?

I wrote. I'm not sure what I wrote or how good or publishable it was, but I wrote. Soon, long before I sold my first book, my fragility became a thing of the past...for a while. Words were magic to me, from then until now. 

Even though I'm feeling fragile and uncertain...even if I can't even think of a new series name for the Second Chance books...even if I get 50 or so rejections on Pieces of Blue, I know what to do now. There it is right in front of me, the real magic--the blank page we both curse and revere. 

Fragile? Me? Don't be ridiculous. 








Comments

  1. Liz, never underestimate your toughness. The good thing about getting to the age we are now is that we've been through a lot and know what we're capable of. Even when we feel fragile. I have no doubt you'll think of a new name for your series and you'll publish Pieces of Blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jana. I know we have learned toughness, but...wow, there are days!

      Delete
  2. I simply love this post. There's so much about you that I didn't know. But I do know that you're gifted at sharing what it's like to live life and to be in relationships, imperfect as all of it is. For forever I had this quote taped to my refrigerator: Every problem contains within itself the seeds of its own solution. (Attributed to Norman Vincent Peale but I looked it up and it says Stanley Arnold). Maybe your series name could have something to do with "What now?" or maybe: Couples find their answers to 'now what?' in these second chance stories. Or maybe not? You'll figure it out like you always do! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy. I seem to be looking for a lot of answers these days! I love the imperfections of relationships.

      Delete
  3. Liz, if your beautiful, sensitive stories are a result of being fragile, I say so be it. The end result of your pin pricks of insecurity have been amazing. I think once we become too comfortable, too complacent, it shows in our writing in the most boring way. Keep writing, Liz, you do the world a world of good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, gosh, I agree about complacency! Thanks, Janie. I think we all want to do good for others with our work--I can't ask for more than to have done a little of that.

      Delete
  4. Thanks, Mary. My writing heart spends a lot of time on my writing sleeve, I'm afraid!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment