SATURDAY DRIVES WITH MOM

 by Margie Senechal

A few months ago, I started spending Saturday mornings with my mom where we take random drives, turning down roads we've never driven, and talking. Talking about the past, the present, and dreams for the future.

My mom turned 81 in August and she's healthier than me, but she's beginning to forget things--including telling the same story in quick succession. She's been diagnosed with early dementia but doesn't quite believe it. Or maybe it's more that she doesn't want to believe it. Which I more than understand, which has led me to begin a writing project called The Memory Bank. 

The Memory Bank, at this time, is randomized stories of things I remember. Part of my mission with Mom is to fill in some of the blanks and capture her memories before they're gone. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. 

I've come to realize when my dad was alive that I never asked him questions about his life and his choices. For example, why did he choose the Navy over all the other armed forces when he was deathly afraid of the water? How did he become a cook and baker in the Navy? Was he assigned that right off or did someone say, "I think Wilkinson would be a great cook."? 

I'm not going to let my mom's stories disappear with her if I can help it. A lot of these are the stories of my youth and it's enlightening to get another view than my own or remind my mom of something she's forgotten.

Today we talked about the trip we took from New Jersey to the Pacific NW when I was nine (1971). My dad had retired from the Navy and we returned from Iceland via some sort of military air transport. I remember there was another family aboard and the boy threw up in a barf bag. Gross.

 We landed in New Jersey, and stepped off the plane only to be assaulted by the sun. It was May and the temp was in the 70's and this girl hadn't felt that kind of heat in over two years. It's funny how your body forgets what it's not exposed to for a period of time. Before Iceland, we'd lived in Norfolk, Virginia where I was a little tanned nugget. Stepping off that plane in Jersey took my breath away and I had to squint my eyes tight. 

We took a taxi somewhere, a motel probably. We passed a park, and everything was so green. Not just green but shimmery green. I have very fond memories of New Jersey. 

I remember somewhere on our road trip we came across a vending machine that held toys--I've never seen one since, even though as a kid, I checked at every restaurant and gas station we stopped at on our long road trip home. My sister and I each got to pick one toy out of the vending machine. We chose an egg of Silly Putty and a pink rubber ball the size of a tennis ball.

The silly putty kept us amused in the motel rooms as Mom and Dad watched the news and an evening show. I remember them being amazed by the appearance of Charo. Remember, we'd been in Iceland for  over two years where television was military approved and only for a number of hours a day. I think it began in the middle of the afternoon and went off at 10 or 11. 

Mom remembers what a long trip it was. Which I'm sure--what with Debbie and I probably bickering when we got bored and having14-month-old Wendy, who had, you know, baby needs. And my dad who wasn't the most patient of drivers, "No, we're not stopping now. You can hold it for a little longer," seems like a familiar refrain.

We reminisced about other highlights of the trip, and out of the blue, I remembered finding my first Trixie Beldon book at either a garage sale or a flea market. I probably read it several times the remainder of the trip.  

And that's where I'm going to stop with this look back, but this won't be my last sojourn into the past because I'm loving the hours I get to spend with my mom, just the two of us hitting the road and getting lost in our memories. 

Comments

  1. I love this, Margie, for you AND for your family. I wrote down some of my mother-in-law's memories (because I hadn't done it with my parents), but nowhere near enough. The Memory Bank will be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I'd thought to get some of my dad's recipes. We foolishly believe we (or they) have all the time in the world when we're young.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Margie what a cool idea! I love the Memory Bank and I loved reading your memory here about returning to the US from Iceland. Hugs and keep those memories coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful Margie! I wish I'd done something like this with my dad and his WW2 experience. He was in the D-Day invasion and then was a POW for almost a year. I know bits and pieces but the complete story has been lost and that's a shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I went down to my grandparents--who lived right next store--and my grandpa was watching Patton. He served in the Army during WWII and Patton was his hero. He told me some war stories as we watched--if only I'd had a tape recorder. What I wouldn't do to recapture that moment in time.

      Delete
  4. Mom & I are are losing ours together. We've decided that if we both lose our minds they should just put us in a room together in a memory care place and we can wake up every morning and re-introduce ourselves and spend a lovely day together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Margie, this is wonderful. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shelly! It's nice to see you visit :)

      Delete
  6. Oh Margie this made me cry. I lost my mom at age 77 and one of our favorite things to do was drive all over Vancouver looking at “pretty houses”. Soak up the time with her and spoil her and love her as you are. I miss you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jordan and I do that now! I love those houses on the old Evergreen Hwy and down below. We go other places too in search of little free libraries where we drop off books and rocks that Gayle paints. We try and do the LFL thing once a week or so. What I like about the car thing with Mom is that we get uninterrupted time together and get to explore as well. It's so nice to spend the time just the two of us.

      I don't know if you remember this, but when I'd leave to hang out with you and say, "I'm going to Jane's", my dad would say "Who's Jane?" It took me a few times to figure out he was messing with me and to this day, my sisters and I still call you Who's Jane. LOL I think of you often and miss you lots.

      Delete
  7. I love this idea, Margie! I've been toying with the idea of doing StoryWorth with my parents because I think it will be great to look back at their answers and stories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, Margie, I'm so grateful that in my busy-crazed few weeks with the weddings, I remembered that somewhere along the line I saw your name pop up on my screen. I might have missed this post. I love that you are doing this with your mom. It will be fun for me to follow along. I will save my sorrow about my sister's diagnosis for another time, as your post is all about hope and goodness and remembering. I couldn't love this more. 💜💜💜

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment