Looking for Thanksgiving by Jana Richards

On October 18, 2023, the fourth book in my Love at Solace Lake series had its world-wide release. CHRISTMAS AT SOLACE LAKE is the holiday story I’ve wanted to write for a long time, so I was thrilled to bring it out into the world. So far, the reviews have been good, and while I likely won’t make a bundle on sales, they’ve been okay.

That’s the good news. The bad news is that just before this new release came out, I got COVID for the second time in a year. It meant I wasn’t able to do as many things as I would have liked on the days leading up to the release. Luckily, I’d set up a few promotions in advance that took care of themselves. That was a good thing, because for a few days, I didn’t do much aside from watching TV in my jammies. Even after I was over the worst of it, I was still coughing, and l felt tired and foggy-brained.

But by far, the worst consequence of getting COVID again was not being able to go home to visit family over Canadian Thanksgiving in October.

A year ago, in October of 2022, my older brother passed away. Fortunately, my husband and I were able to see him in the hospital before he passed. When we realized he wasn’t going to make it, we quickly packed up and drove the 600 kilometers (about 372 miles), late at night, just ahead of a snowstorm. Despite the awful weather and the distance, I’m so glad we were able to say our goodbyes.

Before we left to see my brother, we tested for COVID because our daughter, who lives with us, came down with it. Thankfully, our results were negative. They remained negative every day we were away.

The funeral couldn’t be held for over a week, so we decided to drive home. But on the evening before we left, I started to get a scratchy throat. I felt like I was getting a cold. As soon as I got home, I took another COVID test and this time I was positive. A day or two later, my husband was positive, too. The COVID tests remained stubbornly positive for two whole weeks. That meant we weren’t able to go to my brother’s funeral.

Fast forward to this October. Over Thanksgiving, my family made plans to bury my brother’s ashes at the country cemetery where most of our relatives are laid to rest. Some of his ashes would also be spread at the old farm where he and I grew up. But again, because of COVID, I missed out on yet another ceremony, and another opportunity to honor him.

It’s beyond ironic and frustrating. Because I’d missed his funeral, I really wanted to be there for the internment. To have that also taken away was disappointing, to say the least.

I have to focus on the positive. I was able to see him and say goodbye and for that I’m very grateful. And thankful.

I really needed to get these emotions down on paper. Writing helps to process my feelings. Thanks for letting me vent. 

Comments

  1. Oh, Jana, I'm so sorry. Covid has taken so many prisoners in so many ways, hasn't it? I hope your family can gather soon to exchange memories, even though you've had to miss the ceremonies that offer closure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Liz. That's a very good way of putting it. Even though the pandemic is officially "over", Covid is still confining us whenever it feels like it. I know we'll get together another time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment