Winter Blues...Not So Much

 


I'm at age (ahem) where a lot of my friends leave the Midwest right after Christmas, headed for warmer climates. Florida, Texas, Arizona, Mexico--anywhere where the sun is shining and the temperatures are higher than 70 degrees. I confess, I don't get it. 

One of my very favorite things about living in the Midwest is the change of seasons--real change of seasons, not a slight temperature drop. If someone asks me what my favorite season is, I truly can't pick one. 


I love spring--all the showers and the new life bursting out--trees in bloom, tulips, daffodils, and hyacinths full of color, the scent of fresh earth as we dig in the gardens, pulling away the winter detritus and putting down mulch. Seeing my gardens come back to life gives me the same thrill every single spring.



Summers are grand--the lake, boating, swimming, the scent of new-mown grass and wine on the deck (either at home or at the lake). I love seeing my lake buddies, swimming in the bay with pal Moe and Grandboy, Son, and DIL. Heading out onto the lake in the boat to read while Husband fishes. Cookouts--steaks, fish, or chicken on the grill and grilled veggies--yum!

Fall delights me--all the changing colors, the crisp air, the blue, blue skies. Closing up the lake cottage is often bittersweet, but we know we'll be back again, and it's time to start getting ready to hibernate. Fall is when Liz and I go on retreat--always someplace new and different, but I confess we both love Michigan and it's great time to go there because the summer vacationers are gone. We write, have wine and great food, wander the jetty and lighthouses... all in all, a wonderful time.


But winter, ah, winter. I've never dreaded to cold, but I'm fortunate to have a lovely warm house, flannel sheets for my bed, and lots of layers to wear when I walk outside with my neighbor/pal Mary. So far, it's been a good winter--enough snow for a white winter, enough bitter cold days to freeze the earth all the way down to the damn moles, and enough decent-temperature days to get a couple of miles of walking in. I love winter. I love snow, I love a cup of coffee or tea by the fireplace, I love looking out my office window as I work and seeing snow falling or a rich sunrise full of colors. I love going out the front door in the twilight to smell the snow. Have you ever smelled snow? It's the most amazingly clean scent. 

All of this to say, I won't be going South this winter. I'm sticking close to home, happy to shovel snow or stay inside if the temperatures are dangerously cold. I'll read by the fire, have oatmeal for breakfast, and take walks in the brisk air. And I won't feel any envy when friends/family text pictures of themselves on a beach, their toes in the sand and sipping a beverage with an umbrella stuck in it. I'm just fine right here in the Midwest.

How about you? Are you a snowbird or do you stay in your home territory and enjoy your winter?



Comments

  1. My favorite seasons are the beginning of Spring and Fall--Spring, because the flowers begin sprouting up and our rain becomes warmer :). Fall, because after a long, hot, dry summer, rain returns. I don't see myself ever wanting to be away from my home in the Willamette Valley.

    While I love to watch snow fall and the hush as nature takes a breath along with all of us, this year, our snowfall was interrupted by freezing rain (the worst, in my opinion), so I was basically house bound for almost a week. Fortunately, I work remotely, so it didn't affect my pocketbook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the seasons. Spring and fall are my favorites, but there is so much to love in every one. Was that table at the VRBO with the beautiful kitchen? Great post, Nan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree 100% about living in an area with all four seasons clearly delineated. I'm in the lower northeastern United States, and I love it! (Of course, that doesn't meant that I mind a four-day jaunt to Florida to visit my snowbird friends!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment