March Blues by Jana Richards

 

March - wet, dirty snow. Yuck!
I’ve spent most of this month—and most of January and February—hunkered down in my writing cave. I’m working on a three-book time travel romance (with angels) and it’s a big project. Or at least it feels big and overwhelming right now. I’ve got a decent first draft of the first book completed and it’s with my editor. I’m working on book two right now and I’m feeling something of a sophomore slump. This has happened to me before with the second book in a series. I have a clear vision for the first book and I know how I want the series to end, but number two? Yes, I know what has to happen in this book, but at the moment it’s not coming easily. 

I blame it on winter. Even though temperatures have been above average this winter and not nearly as harsh as usually, I’m so ready for winter to end.  

The sidewalk is a lake, when it's not a ice rink.

Perhaps I need a change in venue. Luckily, I’ll be getting a couple of changes later this month. The last week in March, my husband and I are going to Las Vegas. Neither of us has ever been and we decided a trip to Vegas is something we want to experience, at least once. We’ll see some shows, eat great food and experience a lot of desert sunshine. I’m especially looking forward to a little warmth. My hope is that a break and some R and R will reinvigorate me, and my writing.

My second change in venue happens almost as soon as we get back from Vegas. My friend and I found a venue nearby where we can have a writing retreat at a reasonable price. We’re going to spend a couple of days there starting March 31. I’m really looking forward to it. Even though I’m retired and, in theory, I should have all the time in the world to write, it never seems to work that way. I get distracted by other things I *should* be doing. For two days, the only thing I’m going to think about is my story. 

I can’t wait to shake off these March blues! What do you do to get rid of the winter doldrum?

Comments

  1. I hope you have such fun on your breaks and that they give you the "new lease" you're needing. Then I hope it's catching...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment