Would You Sign This? by Liz Flaherty

I want to talk about book signings. No, wait, I only want to talk about good ones. Except that's not really true, because...well, I don't think everyone has all good signings, do they?

At my first one ever, in the Walmart in Logansport, Indiana, I sold and signed over 60 books. I had pictures with friends and family, my picture in the Pharos Tribune, and so much fun! So I thought they'd all be that way. 

They haven't been. I've had signings were I only sold two books--and possibly one of them was to myself, with the other one going to the owner of the venue where I was signing. I've had ones with the requisite query, "Can you tell me where the bathroom is?" I had one where a woman told me she was going to have a book of poems published, but she wasn't going to sit in Walmart and beg people to buy it.

I wanted some bookmarks for a signing, so I went to a local printer--this was a long time ago--where the woman at the desk told me there was no use getting them because my book--The Debutante's Second Chance, a Silhouette Special Edition--would only be on the shelf for a few weeks. I printed my own, sniffling and cursing. While I still use local businesses whenever it's feasible, I never went back to that one. 

Most signings anymore are fun. I love local group ones where I get to yuk it up with other writers and it becomes a social occasion where you see people you wish you saw more often. I have a good time at vendor shows, where people like for you to sign the books they buy and you get to have fun conversations with other vendors and shoppers from every imaginable walk of life. 

Book signings have become less about selling the books, I think, and more about interacting with people. I'm not quite sure how that happened, or when. 

Got any book signing stories to share?  We'd love to hear them!


Speaking of books...and signings... Just for today, Christmas Town Homecoming is free! If you “buy” this, I’ll gift you a download of a novella from my backlist.



You’re invited to Christmas Town’s 10 year high school reunion where you’ll find more heartfelt, feel good, sweet romances set in small, snowy Christmas Town.

“In the mood for some holiday romance and a trip down memory lane? Grab this one!” Nan, Amazon Reviewer
“I am totally enchanted by all the stories happening during the class reunion in Christmas Town. Each story is unique and they fit together perfectly.” Amazon Reviewer

Welcome back to Christmas Town, Maine and its high school reunion…

It’s going to be a jam-packed holiday weekend for the returning class, beginning with preparations for the two day event – where a mysterious promise ring has been found in their time capsule – and culminating in a Reunion Ball – where something lost finally finds its home. No one’s expecting to discover love, but this is Christmas Town, where happily-ever-afters are delivered with holiday traditions, glowing twinkle lights, and tinsel.

You’re invited…

Consider this your invitation to the reunion where you’ll have a front row seat next to some of the class’s most memorable members – the prom queen, the jock, the mean girl, the drama kid, the teacher’s pet, the bad boy, the math nerd, the girl most likely to succeed, and some of your favorite administrators. From start to finish, this collection of connected, sweet romances from Harlequin Heartwarming authors will warm your heart.

Compare this read to The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants as well as all the good feels of a Hallmark, UPTV or Great American Family TV movie. Inside, you’ll find stories featuring best friend to lovers, best friend’s older brother, teen crush, enemies to lovers, second chance, reunion, medical, and later in life romances.


Comments

  1. I remember Walmart book signings back in the day. Yes, you have to share the signing with friends and don’t plan to sell many books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were exciting, weren't they, although not always successful!

      Delete
  2. I love in-person events. Sometimes you sell, sometimes you don't. My best day was at a local Farmer's Market-Craft Show. My worst was at a multi-author event that was expensive to participate in and didn't sell one book. But no matter what I'm always energized after chatting with readers and other authors. I've spent quite a bit of time with people just talking about the process and what it takes. My favorite quote from let's just say more than one person is, "I could write a book. It can't be that hard." I always smile and say, "Then you should." Thanks for sharing. D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've said that, too! But it is energizing to talk with people who speak "the language," isn't it? Thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  3. I agree that sometimes, it's all about the comradery. And I'm going to guess that poet who promised never to "beg" at a Walmart has not sold very many books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always wondered, although in truth, I wouldn't recognize her. I hope it went well for her. I envy poets for their mastery in so few words. Song-writers, too.

      Delete
  4. I haven't had a whole lot of book signings. Before the pandemic I went to a few Christmas craft shows and local street fairs. I think I may have sold two books in total for my efforts. I make my print books available online, but mostly I concentrate on ebook sales. I wish I had more venues and opportunities to sell print books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish the Wranglers could sign together! What fun we'd have. One of my favorite signings was at Gallery 15 in Peru, IN. Art and books and music all under one fun roof!

      Delete
  5. I do enjoy book signings, even though I don't exactly sell books hand over fist. It reminds me that I really am an author and I do enjoy interacting with people, although that's usually not my thing. I can't believe that woman was so rude to you when you went to have bookmarks made! I'm guessing it was a case of jealousy, but that's uncalled for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was startled by it, for sure. I often don't sell that many, either, but the conversations are always fun. Thanks, Mary!

      Delete
  6. I've never done a book signing, but I have had people come to me with one of my books for me to sign. The first time it happened, I didn't know what was going on. They asked me to sign their book, and I seriously thought they were talking about a guest book for the party we were attending. I was stunned when I saw it was one of my books. I'm very scared to do a real book signing, but I sure would like to, especially because I'd be there with other authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still scared to do one on my own (what if nobody comes?) but group ones are almost invariably fun. Wrangler Nan has done several on her own, and done well with them, though.

      Delete

Post a Comment