Writing from Other People's Experiences...It's a Good Thing

 I'm writing book 4 in the Walkers of River's Edge series--it's Annabelle' Walker's story and I'm having fun with it.

As a fiction writer, sometimes, my own life directs my storytelling, but honestly, most all of what I write comes from other people's experiences, from absorbing narrative through films, books, music, and TV, and from listening. Okay, maybe eavesdropping in restaurants and airports and in groups of people, and from conversations I've been a part of and some that I've only been an observer in.  That's all part of the discovery process--what happens before you start writing.

Sometimes, a scene happens because a friend has shared a story from their own life with me. That's what is going on now with Annabelle Walker. At lunch last month, a friend told a group of us about an experience she had with a man she was crazy in love with...the story was, well... just unbelievable. After we'd all gasped and picked our jaws up off the table, I asked her if I could use that story because it truly belonged in a book. She said sure go ahead. May as well have something good come from it. 

So yesterday, Liz and I had a work day writing together (I love those days!), and I started the scene with my friend's story in it. I told Liz the story and her reaction was exactly what I expected from my darling bestie who is the queen of the romance novel amicable breakup--she liked the scene, but does the ex have to be such a sleaze in the end? Yeah, he does. In the real world, men can be incredibly slimy and self-serving (women can, too, but in this situation, it's the guy), and for my purposes, the only way Anna will get over her infatuation with Mr. Sleaze and move into the hero's arms is if the ex turns out to be a creep. 

It's okay. My friend's story is the perfect way for Anna to be shed of the ex and learn to trust and love our hero, who is anything but sleazy. I thank my friend for her generosity in allowing me to use her story for Anna and I hope when the scene is all said and done, it will be an effective device to get Anna and Sawyer together.

 Real life stuff is sometimes the best part of fiction. And when my friend ended her tale of the sleazy guy with you can't make this stuff up, I recall immediately  thinking, yeah but it sure makes for good fiction storytelling. Thank to you, my friend, for allowing me to use your bad breakup in my novel. Lunch is on me next time!

Question of the day for writers: Do you cull from other people's experiences when you write? Find your inspiration in the stories people tell you or things you see on TV news or read about online? Does real life creep into your work?

Lots of stuff happening soon--like the release of Liz's Pieces of Blue on July 1 and the big sale all through July on Smashwords of all 4 of my Women of Willow Bay books (half off!) and a Goodreads giveaway of Make You Mine in anticipation of the release of Book 2 in the Walkers of River Edge series, Make It Real. Follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter for all the updates!

Hugs to all,





Comments

  1. What can I say? I like amicable. Lol. But even I know sometimes real life isn't that way. Great post, Nan...and a great work day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment