Labors of Love by Liz Flaherty


The monthly banner Nancy Fraser posted on a writing group I belong to says its page is a place where reading and writing are labors of love. I've known some of the charter members of this group since we wrote Precious Gems books...oh, a long time ago. Like the Word Wranglers, they came together for a common purpose. We've both lost some and gained some, but we still show up to keep that link alive and well. 

I really like Nancy's banner. 

While I know writing is work, and it's hard, I never thought of reading that way, but then, I have judged contests. I have read manuscripts for other writers that--no matter how good they likely were--didn't work for me. I've never been in a book club (I've never been invited. Sigh.), but I know from friends that sometimes they truly hate the selection their club is reading at a given time. Usually they finish the book anyway. I read The Scarlet Letter in high school and am still whining about it 50-some years later. 

Well, yes, it is work. But, although I hated Nathaniel Hawthorne's writing, I still remember Hester Prynne's story. I still think Hawthorne was brave to write it in that time period.

I remember that my favorite contest entry of all time was never published. It was a rollicking frolic of a Regency story during a time that Regencies were in great demand. I know that publishers asked for the complete, but Grass for Breakfast never appeared. Sherri Holmes wrote for Word Wenches blog, but I never saw if she had books published. I looked for years. 

I think of teachers, from probably third grade on, who give writing assignments. For book reports to "How I Spent My Summer Vacation" themes, to short stories, to essays, to journals,  to term papers. They know when they assign them that they will have to read them. Every year of their career.

So, labors of love fits, doesn't it? Hawthorne wrote a brave story. Sherrie Holmes wrote (at least) one lovely one that I remember 20-some years later. Reading them initially was labor, but worth it. So very worth it.

And then there's the writing. I know it's work. Anyone who's ever sat in front of a blank page or a page full of irredeemable dreck knows it's work.

So is every other worthwhile thing I can think of. Relationships--especially the marriage and parent-child ones--are work, collecting things is work, playing any kind of sport is work, taking care of animals is work. And they're all labors of love. 

Every single one. 

Sometimes, I just really feel lucky. Work on. 






Books2Read: https://books2read.com/FlahertyBlue
Amazon: https://a.co/d/eyEjPDA









Comments

  1. I've belonged to a couple of book clubs, though not for many years now. Back then, I squeezed reading in between work, parenting, housecleaning, and everything else. It often felt like a chore to get a book read in time. But most of the books were a joy and I was glad to have read them. A labour of love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I remember those days! I used to prop books up on the sill of the window in the kitchen and read while I washed dishes. I couldn't do that with borrowed books. Lol.

      Delete
  2. Nice Labor Day post! I agree that the things that we put love into are the most worthwhile things we do. I loved PIECES OF BLUE and look forward to my next Liz Flaherty read!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment