Inspiration - where you least expect it!

It should be pretty clear by now that we're all romance writers - don't let the picture throw you off! Last week I went to my monthly Maryland Romance Writers meeting, primarily to say hello to everyone. The guest speaker was scheduled to talk about demons, which isn't exactly my cup of tea. I write funny contemporary romance without even a hint of darkness. Well, let this be a lesson to everyone: inspiration can strike where you least expect it. Our guest, Rosemary Guiley (www.visionaryliving.com) is a renowned paranormal researcher. Boy, does she know her stuff! Her newest book is an encyclopedia of demons and demonology, and you don't have to be a believer to be completely fascinated. The whole room began to frantically scribble notes - me included.

I've been toying with the idea of a trilogy with a somewhat paranormal mystery. Problem is, I had no idea what the plot device could be. Now I've got two pages of notes on the angelic side of demons, the redemptive spark they carry, and the urge to churn through the remaining 75,000 words of my current WIP in record time in order to get started on this new idea. After almost skipping the meeting based on the speaker alone, it turned out to be one of the best of the year. Moral of the story - inspiration can strike anywhere. You just have to be open to the possibility, and embrace every learning opportunity that comes your way.

Comments

  1. I know what you mean. I almost didn't go to the morning speaker of my local RWA chapter (OCC)this month and it turned out to be the best talk of the year for me! I guess they are right that 90% of success is just showing up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's great, Christi - isn't is fun when inspiration strikes in the darndest of places (or topics)!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christi, I'd have had a hard time showing up as well. I'd be fascinated and scared at the time(I couldn't watch the Exercist even now!)
    I'm even more fascinated/jeoulous that you live in Baltimore. I'm setting my current work in progress there because of my fascination with the place. (MY father's family lived there from the late 1700's till he moved away the year BEFORE i was born.)My cousins used to live there in a row house. (Don't know why but I fell in love with the architechural design of rowhouses the first time i saw them.)
    I would love to read anything you would post about what it's like to live there. Espcially life down by the wharf, or Lexington Market, or well, pretty much anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something like 25 things a newbie needs to know to survive in Baltimore?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment