Living the Dream


I was at a birthday party last night, where the guest of honor laid out his retirement plan. Keep in mind he's only 35. Pretty soon everyone at the table was on board to pick up and move to an island in the Carribbean in the next ten years. Ideally, they didn't want to stop working - they just wanted to work at something they liked (while on a beach drinking beer). Then they asked where I wanted to go, what my retirement dream might be.
I don't have one. I'm living the dream right now. It took several moves across the country, but my husband and I chose to live right here. I'm with the best husband in the world, I love my friends, and I am already doing the work I love. After years of dabbling, I'm writing. In a few weeks I'll be an officially published author, currently torn between two time thiefs: the excitement of first time promotion, and churning out my WIP. Why would I look forward to giving all that up, when I'm perfectly happy right now? And I think this is a pretty good kick off to Thanksgiving week, because I'm very, very thankful for my life. So I'm going to keep enjoying each day, and not worry about other people who can't understand I'm too busy enjoying the present to dream about the future.

Comments

  1. You have such a great attitude, Christi! I agree wholeheartedly. I love my job, I love my friends and family and, although I would love to live on a beach, I'm quite happy right where I'm at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could do with a bigger house and a nice husband ... but honestly, I'm pretty happy where I am in my life right now. Although, of course, a good result in a certain competition would be well received!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it's a great time to remember what we have, not what we don't. I'm lucky, I live in one of the most beautiful places in the world, I have a husband who provides me with a lot, that other people only dream about-- a herd of horses and dogs and ample room to grow flowers and veggies!!! My daughter is hard working and sweet, yes I'm lucky, lucky! I wish I had a bit more time to write, and I'd love a contract, (who wouldn't?), but overall I have everything I ever wanted.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment