Change... and all that

So recently I learned that our Waldenbooks store is closing. That's the third one in our state this year. The manager, Donna, embraced the RWA members of our chapter over several decades by holding book signing events and participated with the group by donating to our local women's shelter every year. Romance books can be uplifting when going through a rough spot in life. Who doesn't want a happy ever after?
And now time has come to move on.... What brings this change? Is it just the slow economy? Or the fact so many readers can shop on-line or even download a book instantly? I can see the advantages, really. I've bought many books online. But what will happen to all those soothing afternoons spent wandering around the bookstore, holding a book...peeking inside...dreaming of the day I see my name on one.
I get sad when things change. But it's bound to happen.

Comments

  1. Tereasa,
    I am so with you on this one. My best friend is getting a B&N nook for Christmas, and I just don't see the appeal. I'm a book person through and through. And I hate the closing of book stores. In our local mall, the only mall in our city, we've lost two bookstores in the past few years, B.Daltons and Borders Express--formerly known as Waldenbooks. It's a major mall and no bookstore. Fortunately we have a great stand alone B&N and a Borders, but nothing at the mall. When my girls were little, that was our to-go destination if they behaved the rest of the time. "IF you're good, we'll go to B.Dalton's." LOL And they still love a good bookstore. Nice post. Have a great Christmas!
    Margie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Margie. I know, I could hang in a bookstore all day. Must have something to do with the smell of all those books. Happy holidays!
    Tereasa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard that e-books are the way to go, but then I find an equal number of people who say they prefer book in hand. I'm one of the latter and a bookstore? It's one of my favorite places. I have to travel about 50 miles to get to one, so often I'm ordering off Amazon, but it is still book in hand for me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment