Loss of Sexual Tension Means the Story is Over?

Have you noticed that once the sexual tension is over in a television show, the ratings drop? I may be showing my age, but does anyone remember the shows Moonlighting and Who's the boss? Once the main characters did the deed, it was like the writers had nothing else to write about. The hero/heroine acted like they got bored with the relationship after sex. And I got bored too.

But I noticed that doesn't seem to happen in books. There are tons of series out there that leave readers salivating for the next story. Some of them involve secondary characters from previous books, and some of them don't. But there's always something there that draws us back. Something that makes us want to see if the main characters really lived happily ever after.

I'll be the first to admit it. I'm a series junky. Books, not tv shows. What's your favorite series? Books or tv.

Comments

  1. I'm glad, too, that the tension doesn't end in books the way it does in TV shows! My favorite series, I think, is Nora Roberts' "Born In..." series she placed in Ireland. I loved all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tension in Castle is good, even though they 'did it'. But books are better...they can do so much more than a tv show or movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite book series is JR Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood. She's able to hit on previous character's lives without getting all boring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love most of Nora's trilogies/series...but I think my favorite is Jayne Ann Krentz's Arcane Society books - lots of tension, a splash of paranormal and always a hot hero!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember Moonlighting well! Ha!
    You're going to laugh, considering what I'm writing now--a sereies--but I've never liked them much before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think like anything else, it's all in the writing. Moonlighting blew it big time, but other shows like Castle and Bones have made it work.

    I really enjoyed Shannon Stacey's Kowalski boys series and hope she does more--maybe highlight one of the girls this time around. I love discovering a new series because then I can binge read for a while.

    A couple of years ago, I tore through Cassandra Clare's "City of" Bones, Ashes, Fallen Angels series. It was all I thought about or read for two weeks. I was obsessed. Her fifth one just came out in that series and for the life of me, I can't remember what happened in the fourth one. Old age or I read it so fast, I've forgotten --or a combo :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My alltime fav series on TV was Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Yes, Buffy was always bed hopping, so you could say the sexual tension remained high.

    For books, I love Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. There's fabulous romantic tension even though Stephanie is in a relationship for much of the series.

    Also love Karen Marie Moning's Fever series, which is urban fantasy. 5 books follow a single heroine while the world literally falls apart bit by bit around her, and a ton of hot love interests cross the page, but one in particular is THE ONE you want to see her with at the end. Salivating just thinking about JZB.

    Great post, Shawn!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saved as a favorite, I like your site!

    Also visit my webpage - youtube view bot

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always wanted to check out JR Ward's books. I've heard people rave about them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment