Yesterday, Kristi wrote about her storyboards and I didn't leave a comment, because I don't really utilize them--what? have a plan? Yep, total pantser here--but also because I didn't think I had a writing trick to share.
But then last night as I was wondering what I should blog about, I thought about characterization and one thing I've been thinking about trying lately. And it has to do with magazines. People and US to be specific.
Each of them has a column that I think could be beneficial in helping us write more-rounded characters.
US has a celebrity-based column called 25 Things You Don't Know About Me. I think the title is pretty self-evident. A celebrity shares 25 random facts about themselves that are not well-known and usually not that important.
On the last page of People Magazine, they have a feature called One Last Thing where a celebrity is asked five questions that have the word last in them. Last Time I Apologized. Last Time I cried. And my personal favorite, Last Moment of Bliss.
I've started collected the People questions to answer for a character some day. But today, I am going to give you some random facts about Bix in the abbreviated:
Bixby Darwin: Ten Things You Didn't Know About Me.
1) I attended eight grades schools and four middle schools. And now, two high schools.
2) Whenever I watch Serenity, I hope this will be the time Wash doesn't die.
3) I won a red ribbon in a school fair for a Lego construction when I was seven.
4) I played video games for money and won 85.7% of the time.
5) My favorite colors are Blazer Red and Black, but mostly I wear blues and greens.
6) My earring is one of a pair, my bestfriend in Portland, Raj, has the other one.
7) Eighty degrees is the perfect temp.
8) Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets was the first novel I read by myself.
9) I learned to type with Mavis-so yes, I can really type
10) I'd like to see the Shire someday--maybe I'll meet my kin there.
Okay--just for the record--that was hard. The first few came off pretty easily, but by eight--I was really struggling. Now, it's your turn--give me some random facts about your character--maybe just five, so you don't have to spend the day pondering.
Have fun and thanks for stopping by :)