Oh, The Waiting

The family and I spent last week at Disney and had a ball. I mentioned a couple weeks ago how home is my happy place. Disney World may be my new second-happiest-place because, wow. Magical is the best word I can think of right now to describe it. The look on bebe's face when she met a character was awe-inspiring and the silliness that we all took part in is now locked in our memory banks.

One thing that wasn't so magical: the waiting. And thank you, God, for technology to keep bebe occupied through a few of the longest lines. We used fast-passes (legal line skipping things) for a few of the longest lines but still, there were waits like the 20 minutes we waited to meet Mulan (we showed up way early, whoops!) or the 45 minutes (that was supposed to be 20, *sigh*) we waited for the Jungle Cruise ride. In those moments I didn't feel bad - not even a smidgen - that bebe wanted to use the iPhone or distract herself.

If waiting is hard as a grown up it has to be insufferable as a kid, I think.

The longest line we saw was a 5 hour wait (not kidding you, the line wrapped from Norway in Epcot Center all the way back to the front of the park) to meet Anna and Elsa from the 'Frozen' movie. That is one line we didn't wait in because what is the point of going to an amusement park just to spend half your day standing in a single line? Obviously a LOT of people thought it was worth it but in that time we rode 4 rides, saw 2 shows and met 2 princess (Mulan and Aurora/Sleeping Beauty) AND had lunch at the Coral Reef (a restaurant inside an aquarium).

I'll wait for a lot of things - and I see the benefits of waiting: as a writer waiting will help you hone your craft, assuming you take the time to read craft books, dissect your work and push yourself to be better. Waiting can teach you patience, which is never a bad thing. Waiting can help you see where you went wrong, whether its at Chapter 5 of a new WIP or how you were insensitive to someone else. In this case waiting just didn't seem beneficial and so we didn't wait, we moved on.

All in all, I think 5 is the perfect age to take in Disney because at 5 you still believe in magic and the extraordinary. Even if there is a line.

Comments

  1. I'm so glad you had such fun. I agree that 5 hours is too long to wait! But I'm so happy you all captured the magic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O.M.G. I can't stand waiting. Not five minutes. I'd lose my mind. I would simply lose it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a ball, D'Ann and Liz! I think we went at the exact right time - bebe was old enough to understand waiting and yet young enough that it was all still magical plus she'll have these memories forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waiting is not something I'm good at, but you make a good point that, as writers, we do a lot of it. Five hours for the Frozen princes? I'm with you. I think Katelynn might have waited though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet Katelynn *would* have waited! I don't like to wait but I've kind of gotten used to it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment