Happy Birthday Canada!

2017 marks Canada’s 150th birthday, otherwise known as the Sesquicentennial Anniversary of Canadian Confederation. Usually we only celebrate confederation on Canada Day on July 1, but to mark the anniversary we’re celebrating all year. Nearly every community in the country is planning year-round activities – here’s the list of things to do in Winnipeg in 2017. After all, you only turn 150 once!

The biggest celebrations are reserved for today. While I’ll probably spend a low-key Canada Day, I know I’ll reflect on how fortunate I feel to be part of this country. And I’ll say a very grateful thank you to my great-grandparents for having the courage to bring us here. I’m sure it must have been a wrenching decision to leave everything they knew to come to an unknown country. But like most immigrants, they worked hard and made a good life here. And their descendants, namely me and my brother and our cousins and all our children, definitely reaped the rewards of their bold move.

Canada 150 sign in front of Assiniboine Park Pavilion
So on this Canada Day, wherever you are, raise a glass and say “Happy Birthday, Canada”. You’re looking good for 150!

P.S. Happy 4th of July this coming Tuesday to my American friends. Have a wonderful day!

Comments

Post a Comment