What Happened to Summer?



Okay, so I’m wondering what the hell happened to summer?

I know summer was here—after all the cottage is still open and the boat is still in the lift. I remember several boat rides, fishing with Son and Grandboy, swimming in a lake that never really warmed up, and some very pleasant beer-30s. We took Grandboy on adventures when he was here—to a dairy farm, to ride a historic carousel in a nearby town, to a wolf park, and to play putt-putt golf. We sat on the deck with our neighbors and watched a new house go up next door (very big thrill for Grandboy). But now it’s September and it’s kinda chilly at night and it feels like fall. 

Clichéd as it might be to say this, it seems the older I get, the faster time goes by and suddenly, I’m losing an entire season instead of enjoying long lazy days floating on the bay in the sun. I’m not the only who’s feeling the loss of the summer that never really was—everyone I mention it to is quick to agree that this summer just flat disappeared. All the folks at the lake are crying foul that we didn't get enough hot sunny days and that the lake never really warmed up. I do confess I swam anyway--Moe and I figure we burn extra calories with shivering when the water's cold.

Even though I’m releasing a new book this month (SAVING SARAH), I’m worrying that I let a colder-than-usual summer be my excuse for not getting the writing done that I wanted to get done. I truly want an excuse. If I can say, “oh, the summer just flew by and it never really felt like summer,” so I just didn’t get to the new book, then I don’t have to confess that I’m simply a poor time manager right now. That stinks because I’m not usually a poor manager. When I work at my day job, I’m genius at getting done exactly what I planned to have done. But with all the hubbub of kids visiting and the trauma of dear friends dying and getting sick and worrying about health insurance and the state of the nation, I’ve just been in a chaos state of mind. However, I’m going to blame the weather because . . . well, because I can.

I’m looking for compatriots here—anyone else out there using the lack of a decent summer as an excuse for not doing . . . whatever?

Comments

  1. "...chaos state of mind..." Exactly. I know summer has been quick (but lovely--I don't need warm water), but I never settled into it, either. Therefore I fully intend to embrace autumn and settle in there instead. I hope. Good post, Nan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd best embrace autumn as well because it is here, whether I'm ready or not. Sad not to swim in the lake anymore though...

      Delete
  2. summer went way too fast here, too, Nan...and I'm ready for fall and crunchy leaves and hoodies and boots...but I'm nowhere near ready for the winter I have a feeling is coming our way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you heard we're due a tough winter? Yikes! I'm not sure I'm ready for that!

      Delete
  3. "Chaos state of mind".....this was me the first two weeks of August! Then the drama settled down...and before I knew it, Sept was here. What happened to August?

    BTW...Aug 31st we were in tank tops and shorts. Sept 1st we barely crawled out of the 60s and had to wear hoodies and jeans for two days! Yesterday, 91. Mother Nature forgot to take her bi-polar meds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the idea that Mother Nature is off her meds--sure feels like it! Thanks for stopping by, Molly!

      Delete
  4. My entire summer has been a "chaos state of mind" Great quote Nan! It seems I was always busy but did not get as much done as I wanted. Fall is my favorite time of year so I look forward to the coming months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy you fall, Carolyn! I don't any of us got as much done as we'd hoped, so don't feel alone! Hugs!

      Delete
  5. I had an entire summer with nothing to do but write, yet still managed to fill it with... stuff. Non-writing stuff. I'm right there with you, Nan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad we're occupying the same world, Ava! We'll get there, I have great confidence!

      Delete
  6. I can't even say I didn't get stuff done because of cool weather. Here in Manitoba we had one of the best summers weather-wise we've ever had. Beautiful weather for July and August and the best part? No mosquitoes! But it was a busy summer and I didn't get all the writing I wanted done either. I'm praying for a productive fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I envy you the no-mosquitoes thing--we had an overabundance due to wet and cool conditions. We're all hoping to be more productive this fall--let's agree, okay?

      Delete
  7. I had the opposite problem--it's been too hot--still in the high 90's--here to get anything accomplished. Between that and menopause setting up camp, I've been a sweaty mess. And now, the Columbia Gorge is on fire. There's a level 1 evacuation notice about fifteen miles away or so--KB has friends who might be involved in that. It's hot, muggy, and raining ash or soot from the fires. The rain and wind can't hit soon enough as far as I'm concerned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, menopause is no fun--you have my every sympathy, Margie and yikes to the fires. Scary stuff! Hope you get some relief soon, baby!

      Delete

Post a Comment