Seeing What's Ahead by Liz Flaherty #WordWranglers


Nan and I intended to do a twofer, when we approached the same subject from different angles. Once her post was done, though, I couldn't think of another angle. It's not the first time this has happened to us, and I hope it's not the last--every writer needs a kindred spirit for a friend--but it did leave me here.

With nothing. Dang it, Nan...

My mind is very blank right now, something that scares the bejesus out of me as a writer. While I'm not a person who has a ton of ideas, I'm seldom without words, and that's happened a lot lately. So I did what I do when I don't have one of those ideas to run with and went to a website offering writing prompts. 365 of them on this one!

And there it was: Number 22 offered "Smoke, Fog, and Haze: Write about not being able to see ahead of you."

Oh, my gosh, it was made for me. Because my biggest career fear right now is not being able to see ahead of me. It's also my biggest life fear--I don't like the new normal. I want the old one back, the one where I can see and hug people (especially grand-people) without reservation or thought. Life at my age goes past at the velocity of a speeding bullet. What if what is ahead of me is...nothing? I mean, I believe in the afterlife, but...you know, later.

Well. I just read over that paragraph. This is where I admit I called myself a whine-ass in a conversation with Nan this morning and that paragraph is where I set about proving myself right.

I'm not going to do that anymore. So, you heard that, right? That means when I do it again, it's okay to get on my case about it. Remind me of gratitude, of Pollyanna's glad game and Anne with an E's days with "no mistakes in them yet" and Pooh's "favorite day."



Because, for me, all those positive thoughts are what counts.They are what clear up the "smoke, fog, and haze" in the headlights. I have to admit things scare me some these days--I worry about Covid-19, about politics, about the divisions that seem to define our days. However, not going headlong into the future means being stuck in a place I don't particularly like. And even if we can't see what's ahead, the truth is we can't go back. So, yeah, new normal. Let's make it work.

I will always like today. I will always be glad for something in it. At least until I make a few mistakes. Thank you, Pollyanna, Anne, and Pooh. For your words that have given me words back.


Comments

  1. We are kindred spirits, my friend. This s a gorgeous post...and speaks to me as clearly as if you were in my head, shaking your finger at me, and reminding me to stay in the here and now. I like today, too. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These days it's hard to see the way ahead. But it's far better than going backward. Words like yours shine a little light, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post, Liz, and I agree - finding the good parts of any day makes every day a little bit better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristi. It's an ongoing battle, though. :-)

      Delete
  4. Maybe we're the kindred thinkers, Liz. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how I can identify with you, Liz!!!!!!! Trying to get the rhythm going in writing my manuscript has been a near-impossibility. I can't settle down, focus or think of much to write about. I've even thought of starting something new, but, even then, I can't think of a thing to write about. But, boy, have I been dreaming! And vivid dreams at that. I believe our subconscious has to let the creativity out in some way, and, if it's not coming out in my work, then it is in my dreams. I love what you wrote, "...your words that have given me words back." Great line! I will check out that website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janie. As awful as this sounds, I'm happy not to be alone in it. Happy words to you!

      Delete

Post a Comment