A Good Day by Liz Flaherty #WordWranglers


I hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving. 

I have nothing special to talk about today, so adjust your listener to "not that again" frequency, and I'll just ramble a bit.


While we didn't get to be with family, we did have a group PM message with all of our kids that went on all day. My daughter-in-law announced, after spending two-thirds of her life in our family, that she didn't like deviled eggs. 

It was horrifying. Deviled eggs are a family mainstay. How can she...I can barely talk about it, even now. My son, her husband, said, "See what I have to live with?" and I may have spewed coffee.

I wasn't with them, so I can't guarantee the kids were laughing as hard as Duane and I were, but in my heart and mind they were. That is one of the most joyous things abut family, isn't it?--the things you share, whether they are grief or hilarity. 


I meant to put the Christmas tree up yesterday afternoon. Instead, I came to the office and sewed, putting together a quilt top for a little boy. There was nothing to it, and it won't be an heirloom by any means, but he'll be able to wrap up in it until he's not little anymore. I wasn't in a sewing mood, but it was satisfying. 

Last night, we watched Going My Way, a favorite movie for both of us. 

It was a really Good Day.

Cheryl Reavis, for whom Thanksgiving has been a painful memory time, had a Good Day. She said, "I’m going to let the memory of this Thanksgiving replace the sad one."

It's funny, isn't it, that in this year of all horrible years, I've found it so easy to find things to be thankful for? That's just one more thing. If I'm honest, I'll admit that I look for things because I'm running from situational depression. (Nan gets to hear most of that in the morning when we g-chat--isn't she the lucky one?) But even if that's the reason, I'm thankful for being thankful.

I'm reading Beth Carpenter's An Alaskan Family Christmas. It's a fun read and I love Beth's voice. I'm always fascinated by Alaska, and this story has me smack dab in the middle of it. 

I have a project of my own that will be out soon. I've talked about it some, I think, but I'm so thrilled Window Over the Sink is going to be a book. More about that later!

Enough of my rambles for now. I hope you'll share your Thanksgiving with us. I hope it was a day of memories and laughter. That it was what has become in this  year of tribulation a very important phrase, a Good Day. 

Blessings!






Comments

  1. I am indeed the lucky one--so grateful for our gChats. I can't imagine life without you and them! We had a lovely day, full of good food, fun, and holiday cheer. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nan. Those chats can be lifesavers, can't they?

      Delete
  2. It was a good day, indeed, and today is shaping up to be a good one, especially when I wake up to find you're reading my book! Hope it makes for a nice escape for you. While I've been waiting for inspiration to strike for my next proposal (and the sparks aren't flying) I've been sewing Christmas coasters to give as gifts. There's something satisfying about it, isn't there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Beth. I'm loving this trip to Alaska. One thing to be said for reading slow (I don't know how or when THAT happened, but I can now spend a week on a book) is that the joy of the story is spread out.

      Delete
  3. I love your ramblings, Liz! I'm glad you had a good day with your family even if you couldn't be together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jana. It was fun. I sure missed Black Friday with my girls, though. It's not about the buying, but about the day with them.

      Delete
  4. Love this, Liz! I want to hear about the new book! 2021 looks to be a much better year. If it is, we'll all celebrate together. If it isn't, we'll hang on to each other like we did this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janie. Good friends make all the difference, don't they?

      Delete

Post a Comment