Meandering...

Fall in River's Edge
photo courtesy of Brenda Shropshire
https://www.facebook.com/BrendasAuCourantImages

 I got nothing today. Seriously. I’m deep into the throes of finishing book 1, tentatively titled The Flirtation Wager, (don't get too attached; it's sure to change) 
in the new River’s Edge series, trying to finish the last 6-8K words by the deadline, I just put three back-to-back editing gigs to bed, and my brain is fried.

Here’s the thing, I know where I want to go, obviously where it’s going to end up, so I’m not stuck exactly, just trying to feel my way toward that HEA. But writing the perfect ending to a book is sometimes, well…hard. I guess it depends on the book, because the ending of my last book. The BabyContract (see what I did there? Promo!), pretty much wrote itself. I was just along for the ride. It was the close-out of the Four Irish Brothers Winery series (Oops, did it again!) and although, I’m continuing this new series in the same small town of River’s Edge, Indiana, it’s not about the Flahertys, it’s about the Langes.

photo courtesy of Brenda Shropshire's Au Courant Images
The River Walk
photo courtesy of 
https://www.facebook.com/BrendasAuCourantImages/

But in many ways, it’s also about the town of River’s Edge and the people there, so some of the same characters from the first series turn up, which is the magic of writing a series. Readers get attached to your secondary characters and send emails messages asking if Noah and Dot will have a book or will Janet at the yarn shop find true love or whether Mac and Carly will ever tie the knot (probably not). Authors get attached, too, I confess and we love to get our secondary characters engaged in the new story.

Anyway, my imagination is already writing book 3, which is a bit of a problem because book 2 comes next. Writer dilemmas, eh? I think my plan is to turn this book in, take about two weeks to breathe, think about the holidays and how they will be different and how we’ll handle that and then start trying to tell Max Lange’s story, while at the same time continuing to make notes about Becker’s story.

So, as I said, I got nothing today… hope your week goes well. If you’re doing NANO, bless your heart and I wish you all the best. I’d appreciate you sending any extra writing energy you may have left over my direction for the next week or so. And please, stay well, stay safe, and most of all, stay grateful!



Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing, Nan! I am wishing you the best during your writing process and hope that you receive the extra energy needed to keep sharing your gift with the world. It is such a daunting time right now, and staying motivated/positive is quite the challenge. Let’s work to keep each other uplifted! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Thank you, Denise! It's in my head, just need it to come out of my fingertips. ;-) Yes, keeping one another uplifted is a wondrous idea--I'm all in !! Hugs!

      Delete
  2. Good Morning Dear Friend! I'm thrilled that you are writing in River's Edge again. I'm always happy to be in that wonderful town with her incredible citizens. Take care my friend. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mon Ami! I'm having fun in River's Edge and I sure hope you enjoy these new books, which are coming out in 2022...so a little wait, but I hope you'll think they are worth it! Stay well and stay safe, William!

      Delete
  3. Love that you are continuing another series in River's Edge. I really loved the Four Irish Brothers Winery series. The photo of the River Walk is just how I imagined it would. Thank you for sharing and keep up the great work. Positive going your way. 🥰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad you're enjoying River's Edge and it's quirky citizens. New series is started and the characters are having a great time in my head... ;-)

      Delete
  4. Great post, and I love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they gorgeous? I just this photographer's eye--she really captures River's Edge! Thanks, Liz!

      Delete
  5. Best of luck with writing the new series, Nan. I'm sure your brain is crammed with all kinds of stuff right now. I've been editing so my brain is obsessed with the number of times I use the words "that" and "so". Hint: it's too many. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, Jana! Yeah, um, we all have our favorite words, don't we? I'm a "then" and "just" girl myself. Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  6. Everyone's brain has been on overload lately, Nan. Maybe, just maybe, we'll have a few less things to worry about in the coming year. For me, Nov. 3rd was that whispered promise. Hang in there, it'll all come pouring in soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment