The trees are full of ice... by Liz Flaherty #WordWranglers

The trees are full of ice today. The sun shines on them and they are just beautiful. It's as if they're covered with a multitude of diamonds. It's funny that the thing that draws our attention to the beauty is also the thing that destroys it, isn't it? Not funny so much as bittersweet. 


Along with the brilliant trees came an ear worm. "Some days are diamonds," John Denver sang, "some days are stones." Bittersweet again, the thoughts of an artist gone too soon, as well as the song itself. 

We've seen a lot of it in the past year. Lived a lot of it. I don't know about other writers, but it's made it harder to create a story. I'm not using Covid-19 when I write, and I catch myself thinking things like they can't go into a crowded restaurant or there can't be a girlfriends trip or even they wouldn't touch hands that soon. Where's the hand sanitizer and they hardly know each other. 

But there have been some good things, too. Some sweet moments among the bitter. I've been writing in sprints, which had been both successful and fun. I'm writing a new story, with people I'm having fun getting to know, in a subgenre I'm not completely comfortable with.

I'm finding during this up-and-down time that I have new resentments, new things creating changes I'm not sure I want. I read curmudgeonly posts on Facebook that both annoy me and...gulp...I can identify with, and I hear these words from the song: "More and more I can see there's a danger in becoming what I never thought I'd be..."

Oh. Okay. 


Bittersweet is beautiful. My grandmother kept it in a little copper vase that hung on the wall. It's also, according to some reports, toxic. So is giving in to the bitterness that comes visiting every day. But we can learn from it without giving in. We can use it without giving in. The days that seem to be stones from sunup to beyond sundown, what Anne Shirley called "Jonah days," exhaust us. And yet, this is how we do it, isn't it? One day at a time. One foot in front of the other. Without giving in. Watching for diamonds.

***


It’s been nearly ten years since we retired. I’m still in the office Duane and the boys created for me. The seven quilts I promised to make have been completed. A few books. He has new knees and new guitars. We’ve had grief and loss in these years, occasional discontent, times of being alone even when we were together. We’ve also had a blessed amount of fun. Of music and laughter and family. Of the other side of being alone that comes of knowing we never really are.

Much has changed in those nine years and change, and much has stayed the same. At first, it seemed as if this book was a vanity thing. Or a thing for the grandkids to look at and think Okay, Nana, what do you want me to do with this? But in the end, like most other things in life that are worthwhile, it is a labor of love. A gathering of thoughts and dreams and memories.

Thanks for joining me on the journey. https://www.amazon.com/Window-Over-Sink-Liz-Flaherty-ebook/dp/B08Q5T2Y5S



Comments

  1. What a wonderful, poignant blog, Liz! Bravo!!! It obviously comes from deep within, and you've expressed your myriad of emotions so beautifully. You may think your writing is sluggish and up and down, but I have news for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks, Janie. It's a rough writing time, for sure, but when I think of the REALLY "stone" days so many are having, I know I need to hush my complaining!

      Delete
  2. The January doldrums are always hard, and this year... Anyway, it's great that you're trying a new subgenre and pushing forward despite it all. Spring is coming. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The January doldrums are getting to all of us. I haven't let Covid get into my writing, at least not yet. Maybe in a few years, when this is over, I'll write about this time. But for now, I'm playing let's pretend it never happened in my writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I really can't face the idea of it being in writing, and I haven't seen anyone else doing it, either, have you?

      Delete
  4. I love it that you're trying a new subgenre and pushing your comfort zone. I always feel I grow when I do that, even when I don't succeed 100%. It makes me grow as a writer. Good luck with whatever it is! And hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm feeling...worried. Maybe a good thing. :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment