Five Questions... Really... It's Fun!

This week, Liz and I are up and we thought it might be fun to answer a few of the questions that writers sometimes get asked. It is a game we play when we do programs/book signings together at libraries and other venues. We always offer to answer questions and warn the participants that if they don’t have any questions for us, we might have to pull out our magical numbered list of author questions. If we do that, they have to shout out a number and we read and answer that numbered question on our list. I think sometimes folks get intrigued at the idea and would almost rather have us ask ourselves those questions than asking their own. At any rate, here are my answers to the five questions we chose for Word Wranglers.

1. Writing can be an emotionally draining and stressful pursuit. Any tips for aspiring writers?

The main advice I can give is put the emotion into your writing and when you are done writing for the day, release it with long walk or a glass of wine or simply relaxing in the sun. Don’t bring the emotion and stress into the rest of your life. It’s exhausting for you and for the people you live with to be in that mode all the time. I’m sure it would be like living with a method actor who is always in character—it would wear thin.

2. If you could be mentored by a famous author, who would it be and why?

I think maybe Dorothy Parker, who was crazy, but hilarious and she had such a great way with words. Her satire is some of my favorite reading. I would also love to learn craft from Kristin Higgins, whose writing is always perfect and her stories so poignant. I’d love to learn her gift for finding the perfect story and telling with such eloquence.

3. At what point do you think someone should consider themselves a writer?

Interesting question because honestly, if you’ve picked up a pencil and started a story, you are a writer, in my opinion. If you continue to write, then unquestionably, you are a writer. That said, I’ve often made the distinction between author and writer, for me, there is a difference—an author is a writer whose work has been published.

4. If you had to describe yourself in three words, what would they be?

My first instinct was to go to the physical, which isn’t at all to what this questions refers, so I’m resisting round, old, and wrinkled. Instead, I’ll make an effort not to be too hard on myself. I think I am kind, intelligent, and persistent. I may not seem persistent because I’m also low-key, but pretty much, if I really want something to happen, I’ll do all I can to make it so.

5. You're the publisher and the choice is yours--what is your new romance imprint going to be?

I’m torn between a strictly romantic comedy imprint called Love and Laughter and an imprint featuring characters that must be at least sixty years old called Love in the Prime of Life.



So that’s my take on five author questions. Writers, want to take a stab at them in the comments? And readers, what’s the burning question you have for authors?

Stay well, stay safe,


Comments

  1. I love your answers! Especially that Love in the Prime of Life imprint, especially since "prime" is subjective enough for it to be all-inclusive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's an excellent interpretation, Liz!

      Delete
  2. The question I've heard a lot is "Where do you get your ideas?" For me, the ideas come from everywhere; there's usually no lack of ideas. It's choosing the right idea that can sustain a whole story, and then finding the time to write it that's the hard part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that one a lot, too, and yes, you've nailed it, Jana!

      Delete
  3. Kristan Higgins seems to be the popular choice. LOL I love her books. Great answers, Nan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment