Folding, labeling, and arranging by Liz Flaherty #WordWranglers


I'm late writing this early on Friday morning. I normally would write it earlier, but it's been a busy week, and yesterday I finally wrote "The End" at the end of my work-in-progress. What that meant was that I was exhausted even though I didn't write much yesterday. There is something about finishing a story that finishes me as well. And now comes the fun part.

I get to fix it.

I get to take out characters who don't need to be there, judge the worth of scenes that may or may not move the story forward, and catch some of the typos and grammatical errors that have found their way into the story--not all of them...never all of them. I get to obsess over conflict, question motivation, and murmur "what goals?" over and over because even at this stage of the game, I haven't mastered it. 

Tomorrow is Miami County Extension Homemakers annual garage sale. My friend Nancy and I are taking fabric that's been donated to us that we can't use to donate to others who will make use of it. This requires folding it neatly, labeling the cuts with yardage, and arranging it in a manner that will make others see its value. 

Exactly what I need to do with A Year of Firsts. What every writer does with every book she writes, what beta readers and best friends do when they read, and what editors do again after that. It's how we give it our best. 

I love this job!



Comments

  1. Great post and so right on! It is a matter of arranging, rethinking, rewriting, adding words, taking some out, and loving those you leave when you finish a story. Congratulations on "The End." It's a good feeling. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned this pretty early on - when I finished my first book and it was way too many words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't take long, does it? That "finished" euphoria is only good for about 10 minutes or so. :-)

      Delete
  3. I used to think my first draft had to be "perfect", but of course it never was. I've come to embrace revision for all the reasons you've mentioned. It's where a story really comes to life. Have fun at your garage sale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought my first few were better than they were, and was subsequently horrified when first readers bled all over them! I've learned since then. :-)

      Delete
  4. You love this job and it shows. Your writing is always wonderful Liz.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment