A Little Wrangler History and Future

 

by Margie Senechal

I'm counting down. 12 days, 5 hours, and 17 minutes until I take flight across the country. So, really there's not much on my mind except what I'm bringing, what I'm going to write, and finally meeting some of my best friends in person.

I "met" Liz around 2009. At least that's where I can trace it back to with my email files and critiques I've saved. She's read more of my writing more than almost anyone else--ideas I tinkered around with and forgot about until I did a bit of deep email diving.

There's a certain amount of safety in online friendships. Sometimes you can say spill secrets over a keyboard more easily than in person because there's that distance and maybe because we're writers. 

Over the years, according to said critique files, we've had many Wranglers come and go. Some names on the crits, I barely remember.  When we first started up, we were a few writers who just wanted critiques. I think Liz was the only published author at the time, and it had been a number of years for her and she was looking at reentering the ring, so to speak.

Kristi was the next Wrangler who came aboard and by the way, we didn't call ourselves Wranglers until we decided to create a group blog. 

The blog has morphed over time. At first, it was just a place to put up some thoughts when the need hit. But, we realized we didn't really have a following or any theme. We also were hit and miss on posting because we didn't know what we were doing. LOL

Then we decided to have days. I remember having Thursdays. And I was pretty good about meeting my weekly deadline. As members left because of time constraints or other obligations, we added new members, Nan and Ava. And then finally, Jana and Janie.

In twelve days, I'm finally going to meet Nan and the next day, Liz. And we're going to drive together to North Carolina and meet Janie. We're going to write, eat, tour, and write some more.

I'm so excited because a) it's been years since I've gone anywhere except the Oregon Coast for a vacation, and b)I get to meet these very dear friends, and c) It's freaking North Carolina.

I'm pretty sure there's magic in them thar hills. My favorite authors Sarah Addison Allen and Karen Hawkins books take place in NC, and they can't be wrong about the apple-throwing tree that reveals how your life ends or the Book Charmer, can they?

Plus, fireflies!!! I haven't seen a firefly since I was nine-years-old. I love the Pacific NW, but we don't have fireflies. And stars! This month is the Persoid meteor shower and living in a fairly large city, dark skies aren't an option. So, while in the Blue Ridge Mountains, I'm pretty sure I'll get to wish on a shooting star.

So, that's where my head is at today. I'm hoping we'll be blogging either here or on Nan's blog like Nan and Liz do on their writerly excursions while we're gone. But, until then, stay safe and have a great week-end!

Comments

  1. Oh, we will blog this trip, Margie! I can't imagine not blogging it! Maybe here, but definitely on my blog. ;-) Can't wait to meet you in person, although as you say, we're already good friends! See you at the airport in 12 days, 5 hours, and 17 minutes!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So looking forward to this! See you very soon, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait until you all get here!!! So excited. Just a couple of FYI's: We've had tons of fireflies this year. More than other years. AND, if you want to see a meteor shower, well, my friend, this IS the place. We have, what astronomers deem, are some of the "darkest skies" on the east coast. So, I have a feeling you'll be wishing on a few shooting stars. Counting the days, hours and minutes 'til you're here. And BTW, thanks for the WW history. See, you do learn something everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you just made my day and made my youngest so jealous. LOL

      Delete
  4. I'm so excited for you. Want to hear all about when you get back

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm excited for you all and wish I could join you. Have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment