Dreams and Designs


 by Margie Senechal

One of my favorite things about writing a novel is coming up with business ideas. It's nice to live vicariously through my characters because I certainly don't have the budget or energy to get these ideas off the ground.

For Bix's story, I came up with The Target Zone, a paintball club that has themed rooms with target enactments. Think of the police training videos you've seen or you know, Men-in-Black and add in a paintball competition. 

And just recently, Bix's mom created a coffee shop in Cypher called Daisy's Cafe. And I must admit, my fingers flew over the keyboard as Daisy (and I dreamed) of the perfect place to sit and have a cuppa something.

In Mistletoe Madness, Ashlynn designs mini apartments in the vein of tiny homes. They have multi-functional build-ins that Ashlynn also designs. Maybe it's because I live in a totally non-affordable apartment market, but I think I'm onto something. :)

A couple of days ago I commented on Kristi's Instagram picture (which I lifted) of jellyfish at her aquarium.  We both love the calming nature of watching them float around. And I said, "Imagine a writer's cafe with a jellyfish tank."

Three days later and I'm still imagining it.

A floor to ceiling circular tank that houses a dozen or so jellyfish with tables surrounding it.

And the cafe wouldn't be just for writers, it would be for anyone who wants to clear their mind. I'd probably need a marine biologist around to make sure the tank stays at optimum jellyfish survival. 

Hey! Analise from Suitcases was going to go to school for marine biology. Maybe she could develop this idea...hmmm...although that would have to happen in a future book, not the current one. She doesn't have enough gumption to start her own business in this one. But, who knows about the future? 

I doubt that I'll ever start my own business, but a girl can dream. And write.

Happy Fourth everybody! Stay safe and well.

Comments

  1. What a fun post! I love doing that, too, although I seem to stick too close to tearooms, cafes, and bookstores. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those too, and I'd add B&B to them as well. I love the idea of a B&B, but then I think of the work, and I'm like, "No thank you."

      Delete
  2. I wish you'd start a business and hire me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL my first employee. One of us would have to move...

      Delete
  3. I love that your characters are all entrepreneurs who created innovative new businesses. Maybe in a previous life you were a business mover and shaker!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment