Of Top Gun and Time ~ @AuthorKristina Knight

Time is like a river. You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again. Enjoy every moment in life. 

Time isn’t the main thing. It’s the only thing. ~ Miles Davis

 I can’t quite believe it’s Tuesday, y’all. And that it’s the last Tuesday of (official) summer? Even more mind blowing. I think I’ve said this a time or thirteen, but I really don’t know where the time goes. It seems like we just had friends over for our Memorial Day Grill-a-Thon, and now it’s time to start switching over the closets from summer to winter clothing? GAH!! I’m not ready!


Over the weekend, we were watching a game show on TV, and I had another ‘where has the time gone’ moment. 


Watching game shows together has become a tradition since the beginning of the pandemic - RadioMan, bebe, and I sit down several nights each week and watch a handful of game shows. Family Feud is a favorite. So are People Puzzler, Common Knowledge, and Chain Reaction. Anywho. I forget which one we were watching, but a questions about the beach volleyball scene from Top Gun was asked. Ladies, you know which scene I’m referring to. And bebe asked what that was, and I realized I had failed her as a mother for the eleventy-millionth time. But I digress. 


She asks what that scene is. I pull up the clip on YouTube and a few still frames too. Which she watches and then pages through the still images before blandly saying, “Meh, doesn’t really do it for me.”


Y’all. Y’ALL. 


I mean, I realize it’s a twenty-mumble year old movie at this point. But there are sweaty, well-built male specimens rolling around on a beach, posing, and…where did the time go? Sure, none of them look like that now, but then? 


Be still my beating heart said millions of women around the globe. 


And now here we are, on the last Tuesday of summer and I’m asking where have the last three months gone…and also wondering where have the last twenty-mumble years gone? Because I can still tap in to my inner tween-ager’s obsession with this movie (no, Maverick was not my favorite guy) and experience the deliciousness of that scene. The competitive vibe, the teasing, the jostling for position that circled right around to their actual flight training competition. 


I don’t really have a point to this post, other than to ask: where has the time gone? Pandemic time, time in general, all of the various times we tap in to. Where does it go? And why does it go so fast? And is there a way to slow it down, just a little bit? 



Comments

  1. Right there with you, only the swiftness of passing time seems to double as you go through the mumble-mumble years of aging. I loved the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Liz. The older you get, the faster time flies. It's crazy how quickly it passes.

    Somehow, the time we've been in the pandemic has both flown by and yet has dragged on forever and day. It has managed to defy the concept of time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's scary, isn't it!! Can't believe I'm Christmas shopping already. We can all identify with this post, Kristi, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment