Falling Into Plot Holes


by Margie Senechal

Today would've been a good day to have planned ahead. I thought since I was closing I'd just get up and write my blog. I didn't plan on waking up with a throbbing headache. Best laid plans gone astray. So, if I come off as unfocused--oh, who am I kidding, how would that be any different from previous posts? :)

I think in a previous post I shared that I was seeing the light at the end of the tunnel on Suitcases. And while the light is still there, it seems to be moving away from me instead of towards me. Danny's story is flowing like a river, but Ana's? Uhm, no.

I realized that things have become too easy for Ana and everything seems to be falling into place a little too quickly and easily. Which in the writer's world is a deathnote. I think I might have issues with being too kind to my characters. Hmmm. 

I'm a plantser--mostly a pantser with a touch of plotting when needed. That's where I am right now, plotting Ana's grief and anguish. I need to make her suffer a bit more before she finds the light.

Brainstorming is one of my favorite tools as a writer--there's always so much possibility out there. And yesterday I pulled it out of my toolbox and went to work. Just listing the possibilities ignited Ana's story for me again, so hopefully that light will start moving toward me again.

I'm also working on a joint project with Jordan--a couple of picture books. She's actually doing most of the work as I've written them and she's illustrating them. But, it's a labor of love for both of us and quite fun to see her interpret my words into pictures. And it's made me want to write more...

For example, this guy's story. KB went to Disneyworld a couple weeks ago and this little guy hitched a ride with them. You have to admit, there's a story in there somewhere. And I have a cool little concept cooking in my head, but first Suitcases and the JV project.

No wonder I woke up with a headache this morning. Too much clutter in my brain.

Okay, that's it for me. I have to get up and get ready for work. Have a great weekend and stay safe!

Comments

  1. I love the picture of the passenger, and, as always, how your mind works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've often suffered with being too nice to my characters, too. I mean, we love them, right? I've mostly learned to make my characters work for their happily ever after. In fact, in my latest release, I practically torture my poor h/H. But it certainly makes for a more interesting read!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment