Gratitude--and not being 22 by Liz Flaherty


It's been a while since I've talked about gifts. Well, probably not really, but I'm feeling particularly grateful this morning. The reason I'm feeling particularly grateful is that things are not going especially well.  

My traditional writing career (and I use that term loosely) is at a standstill while I wait for editorial response. My indie projects are at a standstill because I have released my latest book of essays and I probably won't do another one. And I should promote it more heavily, but... Yeah, but I hate promotion. 

I'm well past "retirement age." (I use quotes there because regardless of what might be popular opinion, retirement age is subjective.) But I'm slower now. My memory's compromised. I don't like driving after dark. 

Mark Zuckerman says, 

“We are retooling our teams to make serving young adults their North Star rather than optimizing for the larger number of older people.”

Well, isn't that special? He's just now catching up with where romance publishing has been for as long as I can remember. While many of them are now accepting manuscripts with protagonists over 40, they still want them to look, think, react, and talk like they're 22 or so.

I don't even remember being 22, other than having two kids and a job and being overwhelmed.

But, oh, yeah, grateful.

First off, I'm grateful not to be 22. I'm grateful that we could afford childcare at that time although we needed two incomes.

I'm grateful to have written and had published as many books as I have and I still love every one of them. Some more than others.

I'm grateful that in this time of perpetual unrest, life is still good. Not perfect, but good.

I'm grateful for family and friends and that I know the things I do.

I guess then, that gratitude is kind of the top of the heap when it comes to gifts, isn't it. Thirty Days of Gratitude will be starting up on Monday. I'm grateful it's not hard to think of 30 things. 💝


So. nothing new and different from me today. I hope you have a great weekend. If you're looking for something to read, Window Over the Desk is waiting for you. I'm grateful for that desk, too...and especially for windows.




Comments

  1. Husband is reading WOTD on his kindle and really enjoying! As did I! Gratitude is important--sometimes it's the only way I can move forward. So yeah, 30 days starting on Monday...I can do that with you. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this will be my 10th year for it. (Although my numbers aren't to be counted on.) It serves as a great reminder.

      Delete
  2. This is all right on point. Just got your book in the mail. Finishing up a James Patterson novel, then you're up. Can't wait! Joe's after you. You have been a successful, kind, and giving in your 'retirement' and I am grateful you are a friend that I look up to and cherish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Deb. I cherish your friendship, too!

      Delete
  3. Oh, Liz, I so relate!! I felt like you were writing this piece on behalf of me, (san the kids). It is all about being grateful, isn't it! There's so much more to be thankful for than fearful of, angry at, or longing for. Thank you for reminding us all to put gratitude before a bad attitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Janie. It's hard sometimes, though, isn't it? The bad attitude works kind of like a flash flood!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for reminding me to be grateful, Liz. I tend to focus on the negative sometimes, so I have to remember how many things I have to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is important, but I also admit to taking gratitude to what might be an annoying extreme! :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment