It Never Gets Old by Jana Richards

This past week marked the release of a new book for me. I've been talking about UNEXPECTED here on Word Wranglers for a while now. It's book 3 in my Masonville Small Town romance series, and while I'm excited, I'm nervous, too. I always worry about what readers are going to think of my work. As I write this on release day (September 27) I have yet to look at any reviews that may have popped up on Amazon. I'm not ready to go there yet. 


You'd think after so many years of writing I'd be over the nerves. This book marks a milestone of sorts for me - it's my 20th published book. Yay me! But each time a new book comes out, my stomach flutters with butterflies. 

With this book, the butterflies are dancing faster than usual. I wrote UNEXPECTED last year during the beginning of the pandemic as we were trying to plan my daughter's wedding. It was a stressful time and the stress showed in my writing. I had to work hard to smooth out the bumps. I hope I've done enough.

What I really want to do is concentrate on the excitement of releasing a new book. It represents the accomplishment of a goal and the completion of an enormous amount of work. We writers start with nothing more than an idea, and spin it into something tangible and real. It's a piece of magic that never gets old. 

The nerves, on the other hand, get old real fast. 

At this point, I have to trust I've done everything I could to write the best book possible. The one thing I know for sure is that with the help of my beta readers and my editor, I've written a book that I'm very proud of.

So, my baby has been released out into the world. My job now is to go back to my computer and finish book #4, the final book in the series. And hope my baby learns to fly.

Writers and fellow Word Wranglers, do you get nervous when you release a book? Or are you celebrating every step of the way?


Here's a look at UNEXPECTED:

Single dad Ben Greyson wants only to retain custody of his two stepdaughters. A dysfunctional childhood has made family the most important thing in his life. When his late wife's parents sue for custody, a desperate Ben is left with two choices – run away with his girls or marry his next-door neighbor.

Jamie Garven wants to be a mother. She's intrigued by her handsome new neighbor and falls in love with his little girls. Then Ben is faced with losing his children, and Jamie agrees to marry him for a chance at motherhood. They're determined to show the world, and the girls' grandparents, two loving parents.

Their marriage of convenience turns into unexpected love. But Ben interprets Jamie's efforts to save their family as betrayal—they could lose everything, including each other.


Excerpt:

“Is there anything I can say to make you change your mind about running away?”

“Say you’ll marry me.”

The words were out of his mouth before he knew he was going to say them. Jamie stared at him, eyes wide.

“What?”

“Marry me. You’re the only woman I’d trust with my girls.” 

It suddenly made sense. If Jamie married him he could keep his kids.

She jumped to her feet, waking one of the dogs who’d been sleeping on the couch next to her. “What kind of marriage do you want, Ben? Are you proposing something for show?”

“No! I don’t know!” He stood and grasped her arms. “If you’re asking me if we’ll sleep together as man and wife, I don’t know.”

Her mouth twisted as if she was holding back tears. “You know I love the girls, but please don’t ask me to pretend. The last few months of my marriage, all I did was pretend. I pretended I had a husband who loved me. I swore I’d never do that again.”

Ben wanted to take her in his arms and hold her. He hated doing this to her, hated making her relive unhappy memories. He was asking too much of her and he didn’t blame her for saying no.

“Please, forget I said anything.”

He’d stick to his original plan. He and the girls would disappear. He’d change their names, go someplace where no one knew them. A life on the run wasn’t what he wanted for his children, but he’d do whatever he needed to do to keep them.

“Ben—”

“I’m sorry, Jamie.”

Ben was out the door before he could hear anymore of her objections.


Buy Link:

Amazon  ~  B & N  ~  iBooks ~ Google Play ~ Kobo US ~ Kobo CA

Goodreads:  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/57013622-unexpected

BookBub:  https://www.bookbub.com/books/unexpected-masonville-series-book-3-by-jana-richards

Comments

  1. Agreed--it never gets old! UNEXPECTED is waiting patiently on my Kindle! I'm anxious to get started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful, Liz. Thank you!
      Since I wrote this, I started looking at some reviews, though not all of them. Some readers were frustrated by my hero. Poor guy has a lot of issues which makes him a stubborn character. But I got a very nice review yesterday which helped with my confidence level. It's really nice when someone "gets" your writing.

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment