Juggling? At My Age?

It's not that I'm too old to learn to juggle, it's that I'm not entirely sure I want to. But, sometimes life hands you things you didn't ask for...or worse, things that you did ask for and now have to figure out how to handle. So...we learn to juggle, no matter what age we are, how arthritic our hands might be, and how slow our reaction times have gotten. 

It's a busy year for me--2022--a very busy year. I'm still working on editing gigs full time, I have three books releasing--one is already out--The Valentine Wager, book in the Lange Brothers series. The other two in the series, Falling for the Doctor and The Fireman's Christmas Wish, release in June and October, respectively. I have a three-book contract to fulfill by the end of the year as well--those will become The Weaver Sisters series, which are more stories from River's Edge. I'm going to be doing some book club and library talks, some book signings, as well as actively working on book promotion. 

Amidst all of that is the rest of my life--Husband, Son, DIL, and Grandboy, the lake, putting a new deck on the city house, housekeeping, seeing sister and my other friends... So you see? I'm juggling. 

But what is the alternative? As I age and my friends age, I see some of them living extraordinarily busy lives in their retirement--going to the gym, church activities, clubs, travel, grandchildren... and I see others who are restless and bored and others who are flat-out doing nothing, but sitting in front of their TVs all day watching mindlessly. I suppose if you've worked 40 hours a week your whole life, maybe feeling free to sit and do nothing at all feels like a gift, so I won't judge. But, that wouldn't work for me.

I am not retired. Nor will I be for quite some time, but when I try to imagine my life without editing in it, without writing in it, I can't. I love editing, and writing is who I am. I'm not a big fan of TV, not much of a joiner, I already go to a gym, and I'm often restless, but rarely bored. That's the best part about being a writer--boredom rarely plays into our lives, well, not mine at least. There's always someplace else to go--those wonderful fictional worlds we create! 

So despite arthritic fingers and sore knees, a brain that needs copious notes to hold anything more than a three-item grocery list, two more books to write before the end of the year, and a to-do list that seems overwhelming, I will persist. I don't know any other way, nor do I want to...

Has your retirement arrived? What does it look like? Are you doing what you planned? Let's discuss...



Comments

  1. I think "I'm often restless, but rarely bored." is the story of retirement. I still want to do do as much--no, more!--as always, but as the really old saying goes, "The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak." Not only weak, but wearing out fast. But, even including juggling, weak flesh, and restlessness, this "certain age" we're in is still as much fun as we allow (and sometimes force) it to be. Needing another writing / lunch day...just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes to all, particularly another writing/lunch day. Say when. ;-)

      Delete
  2. I can totally relate, Nan. I officially retired before Christmas, I've been so busy since January my head is spinning. Some writing, but mostly marketing things, long overdue. But yes, I want to do more! More writing, more marketing, more volunteering, more seeing friends. Just more. Like Liz says, the spirit is willing, but I need to go to bed early!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying the more sleep thing--but I haven't been doing it long it enough to know if it's helping. I'll report back.

      Delete
  3. I have a few (probably more) years until retirement, but I hope by then I'll have figured out the balancing thing--although if I haven't figure it out yet, I don't hold much hope. I hope that I will still be writing and dreaming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm jealous you can remember a three-item grocery list. I love being a writer, too, Nan. Ain't we blessed!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment