A Halcyon Day by Liz Flaherty


I'm doing #wordoftheday on Facebook. Just going through the alphabet. My word for H was halcyon, largely because I couldn't spell it, hardly ever use it, and wasn't absolutely sure of its definition. Said definition, by the way, is just lovely. You can find it here.

Being writers makes all of the Wranglers and our friends active participants in love affairs. Yes, I really said that--our secret is out. We have constant trysts with words, meeting at all hours of the day and night to make them string together and come out right. When they don't--approximately 50 percent of the time on a good day--we've been known to have tantrums, wax dramatic about quitting, and drink. 

There's not room for all that much author loyalty in these affairs, either. For example, if I read the word quipped in dialogue, I have to give an inner "oh, yuck" and skim a scene I might have read word-by-word if it hadn't been for...quipped. It might possibly be just me. It's certainly no one's fault. Perhaps. 

Wrangler Nan Reinhardt gets downright rude about moist and mewled. She says she's never thrown a book against the wall for having those words between its covers, but I'm not really buying that. When I asked the other Wranglers about their trigger words, Kristina Knight said, "I second 'moist'--gag." We do have such eloquence, don't we? Or elegance. Or...well...

Margie can't stand snickered or sniggered and offered up this to illustrate her point of view. After this, I started a global search in my work-in-progress because I'm fairly sure my people snicker a lot. But they don't do it moistly so I should be good, right?

Janie DeVos said, "Loin--and I ain't talkin' pork." This drew some wise nods, amens, and the occasional snick...chuckle from the rest of us. 

Jana Richards abstained, which may have been a wise move on her part, but all in all, the conversation was...well, halcyon is what it was. It was happy, funny, and--to use one of the definition words--golden. I love the Wranglers. 

So, time to share...what are your trigger words? What ones make you squirm, gag, or do a little book-throwing to cleanse your reading palate? And, on the more shimmery part of the words conversation, what ones make your heart a little lighter, a little brighter?

~*~

Joss and Ez find and create some halcyon days at the campground on the shores of Banjo Creek, Kentucky. I hope you love their story as much as I do.

Still reeling from her divorce, Joss Murphy flees to Banjo Bend, Kentucky, where she'd been safe and happy as a child. The family farm is now a campground. Weary and discouraged, she talks owner Ezra McIntire into renting her a not-quite-ready cabin.

With PTSD keeping him company, Ez thrives on the seclusion of the campground. The redhead in Cabin Three adds suggestions to his improvement plans, urging color and vibrancy where there was none.

Neither is looking for love, yet the attraction they share is undeniable. Can the comfort of campfires, hayrides, and sweet kisses bring these two lost souls together?

Life's Too Short for White Walls buy link: 

Comments

  1. You wrote those words again! After I told you I hated them! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moist, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't like it, either, unless I'm talking about cake--and I do love to talk about cake--or I'm trying to annoy Nan. :-)

      Delete
  3. I'm not bothered by moist, (after all, it's touted on cake mix boxes) or panties, which I've heard is another biggie. The words that set me off are impactful and relatable. They're used so much they've lost their meaning. (I'm not sure if that makes sense or not, but they make me cringe, for whatever reason. My friends make sure to use them as much as possible.) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know what you mean! And I LOVE the word relatable because it says exactly what I want, but, yeah, it's overused. Kind of like awesome.

      Delete
  4. I'm going to quit abstaining and go with many of the words used to describe dialogue (like 'he screamed', 'she giggled', etc.) when they should have 'said' or nothing at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes. I've noticed a LOT of dialog tags in audiobooks. I wonder if they're added in during reading because you can't "see" the scene well enough to know who's talking.

      Delete
  5. I think gurgled sets me off more than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel the word plethora is such an uppity, snobbish sort of word. If you have a lot of something, just say so. No need to make it sound elegant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. I use that one! I use myriad, too. Elegant...hmm... Thanks for stopping by, Max!

      Delete
  7. Too funny, Liz! Thanks for the early morning laugh.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment