I Remember, Summer Edition by Liz Flaherty


Confession. I am not a summer girl. It is my least favorite of the seasons--well, it and January/February (They have a season of their own, right?) 

But, like Jana from last week, I remember. Yes, I am old, which means two-thirds of my sentences start with I remember. The other third starts with I've forgotten. 

In no particular order...

I remember the first summer of wearing a two-piece swimsuit. I bought it myself with babysitting money. My mother was not happy. 

From https://www.glamoursurf.com/

We lived in a very small house, and I remember Sundays when all the family came around and we would eat outside because the house was too hot and crowded. The watermelon would cool all day in a washtub of cold water straight from the pump, and we would slurp down slabs of the pink flesh in midafternoon, spitting seeds. Actually, my brothers spit seeds. I likely didn't have my front teeth at the time, and could neither spit nor whistle. 

I lived on a farm, so contrary to the lyrics of "Summertime," the livin' was never particularly easy. I remember that my mother never stopped moving. Although my dad's day ended, hers didn't. Even now, I don't know how she did it. I do know that the woman who grew up in the city fell in love with the country when she married my father--or maybe before--and although times were harder than I can bear to recall, I do remember that love she had for living in the the cornfields. I have it, too. 

I remember that first summer after graduation. I'd been so hungry for freedom, for the privacy that life at home lacked, for going where I wanted to go when I wanted to go there. And, you know what?--I loved it. I wasn't good with money, so I was constantly robbing Peter to pay Paul, changing jobs, and making plans I never brought to fruition. But I loved being just who I was--I'd been only someone's daughter and someone's sister for 18 years, and being myself was wonderful. Not that I was wonderful...or even close...but being an adult was. For me, at least.

I remember summer droughts, summer rains, the summer the last two of my brothers who lived at home married. I loved my sisters-in-law, but didn't like being the only kid at home. 

I remember beach vacations. We still do them sometimes and I still love them. The more family there, the better. 

I remember summer driver's education. The four of us in that 1966 Impala became friends at least for that summer. Our teacher was also a coach, and one day, we drove the Driver's Ed. car to Fort Wayne to pick up baseball equipment. Silly as it sounds, it was fun. 

Duane and I got married at the end of May. It was hot and I was so in love with my guy. Still am. 

I remember summers at the baseball field when my boys played. Two different leagues. Who knew dusty memories could be so sweet?

I remember that three of my grandkids were born in July. That one needs no explanation, does it?

I remember the summer of 1999, when my very first published book, Always Annie, hit Walmart's shelves. It was the year I attended the only RWA National Conference I ever went to. It was so much fun. I'm no longer in RWA, but I still miss what I thought it was...what its intent was...and the people who gathered under its umbrella for protection and friendship.

So, this wasn't really much of a post, was it?--just a meander down Memory Lane. I hope you share some memories, too. 





Comments

  1. What fun memories! Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And long walks down 1500 north

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes...I had friends and family in all directions.

      Delete
  3. My first Walmart book was published in 1998! Such a thrill! Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it? I can still remember so many snapshots of that year, including sitting at my desk talking to Hilary Sares!

      Delete
  4. A 1966 impala sounds way cooler than the hand me down Vista cruiser station wagon I had, but I could fit lots and lots of people in it! Isn't it funny that when you look back,even the hard things had some good in them. Loved the memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The '66 Impala was brand new at the time, so I was duly impressed with it. I think our family car was something like 10 years old and was often used as a farm truck, so...

      Delete
  5. It's a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing precious memories with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the memories. My first published book was in 1998. Hilary made some last minute changes to it that I hated, but I was published! My husband's cousin was so proud to have an author in the family that he bought nine copies and handed them out to relatives. Need I say I loved this guy? I have a photo of me in my first two-piece swimsuit when I was nine, standing with my college age cousin in her one piece. The only time I got to go swimming was when we visited my grandmother, who lived in town where there was a swimming pool. Later, we moved to town and I got to take swimming lessons. You revived a lot of memories, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed them, Carolyn...and remember some parallel ones!

      Delete
  7. Oh, wow, Liz, how you can say that wasn't much of a post?! It was wonderful! You know when you make someone laugh out loud you've done some darn good writing, and that line, "...two thirds of my sentences start with 'I remember', and the other third starts with 'I forget', did just that. You're a terrific writer, though I've bet you've heard that a time or two. Thanks for the memories!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post, Liz. And wonderful memories. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite memories usually involve bodies of water. Every year my grandma would take us girls--mom, my two sisters, and I--to the coast for a stretch of days. Usually when it got too hot in the Portland area (like right now), she'd tell us to pack up. We'd head to the Oregon coast and drive until we found a vacancy--sometimes to our detriment, looking at you, Florence fleabag motel--and stay for a few days until the temps tipped back to comfortable at home. Those days hold some of my favorite memories.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment