Tips and Tricks, the Liz Episode


Our sort-of theme for August--we're really loose here in the Corral--is Writing Tips and Tricks. We decided on that because we knew we all approached things differently. 

Then I tried to think of what I do that might be helpful. Things I've tried and things I haven't. Things I did in my early days of publishing that I don't do now. Things I didn't do then that I've learned the value of. 

  • I show up. Even on days I'm sure I don't have a printable word in me, I'm at my desk with my coffee. If my WIP remains tightlipped even after I've stared at it for 15 minutes or so, then I work on promotion, write blog posts, and drink more coffee. 
  • I learn from other writers, and they are some of my best friends. I wouldn't be who I am without the Wranglers and others whose input, schmoozing, laughter, and occasional drinking have been too valuable to measure. 

  • I don't follow trends very closely, because by the time I catch on, something else is popular. If I happen to be timely with a story idea, believe me when I say it's accidental. I don't necessarily recommend ignoring trends, but what's most important to me is that I love what I do. While I have written a couple of series, I have discovered my heart isn't there, so I don't plan to write another. Does this hurt my prospects? Probably. Do I care? Yes. Am I going to do things differently? No. 
  • In early days, I head-hopped. I'd have two points of view in random scenes. I made my secondary characters too strong. I learned. I stopped doing those things. But I still feel this little bit of resentment because I like more than one POV, I actually enjoy a little omniscient POV here and there, and I love strong supporting actors. 
  • I still prefer trad publishing to indie and will do my best to stay trad even if I don't make much money. What I've learned, though, is that every single path has trip hazards in it. Most of us don't make it to the end of the writing rainbow without being bloodied and beaten down. (Isn't that a great visual? I'll give you a minute to absorb it.)
  • I didn't put a time limit on my writing career. That's good, because I keep writing "one more book," and there aren't words enough to say how grateful I am for that. 
  • Spilled milk and lost files are one and the same.  
  • Don't think you'll remember the idea you had in the middle of the night, while you were at lunch with friends, waiting in the carpool line, or taking a shower. You will only remember that there was something you didn't want to forget. 
  • I show up. In case that looks like I'm repeating myself, I am. Because at the end of the writer's day, that's the one thing that never changes...and shouldn't. 
Those, such as they are, are my only tricks and tips. What they boil down to is, Do it your way. Have fun. Love what you do. Show up. 

~*~
From my backlist...what do these books have in common? One was published by Carina Press and the other by The Wild Rose Press. What they have in common is that they're both set in Peacock, Tennessee. They are both very dear to my heart. One More Summer comes first, The Healing Summer next. They're separate, but also forever entwined. If you haven't read them, I hope you'll give them a try.





Comments

  1. I think showing up and making writer friends are the two biggest takeaways. I learn something from every writer I meet. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suzanne. The part about friends was an add-on, and I was appalled that I didn't think of it first, because it might be the most important.

      Delete
  2. It is important to write with your heart. I agree that following trends never comes across as well as writing what your heart compels you to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it does for some people. And thank goodness we're not all good at the same things! :-)

      Delete
  3. Showing up is very important and needs to be listed twice! Great post, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jana! It's the start and end of our writing days, isn't it?

      Delete
  4. Great post! Thanks Liz. I have grown to love writing series. But it took some time
    !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I would. I really love the ones I've written and quite a few others have written. My focus is just way too limited anymore!

      Delete
  5. Showing up is so key! Yes, yes! And writer friends are not just important, they are mandatory. So glad I have you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving what we do is the most important thing about writing. I can't follow trends--if I can't write what I enjoy, then what's the point? Oh, I know those who can follow trends and "high concept" make more money. I'll keep writing what I love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this. Author friends can be among the most loyal friends we'll ever have in life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can, as well as the most beloved.

      Delete
    2. Whatever you're doing, Liz, it's led - and will continue to lead - to some wonderful books. Sure do miss you, friend.

      Delete

Post a Comment