...by any other name... by Liz Flaherty

On Friday, I typed the words The End on what was, for that moment, the last page of Summer of Sorrow and Dance, Dinah's story and--so far--the final episode in the Second Chances Series from Magnolia Blossom Publishing. This story will need, as I said earlier today, a lot of dusting and cleaning before I can invite anyone inside, but I hope you like it. I also hope you like the title. I say that because, as Nan said, the marketing department probably won't like the word sorrow. Since I thought she was right, I tried to think of another title that worked for me, but in this writer's heart, that one's here to stay. 

It reminds me that my first published book, Always Annie, was Annie Again when I typed The End. Kensington frowned and said No

A Soft Place To Fall was Early To Rise during its inception and the long time spent selling it. I was surprised that Pelican requested the change, but since I liked both of them, I didn't argue. 

The Debutante's Second Chance was The River Walk at the top of its manuscript pages. Harlequin's marketing department said What? Are you crazy? and I had to give up my title and accept a cover completely unrelated to the story. I may be fudging a little on what marketing actually said, but 15 years later, I still hate both the title and the cover of what is one of my favorite books. 

For One More Summer, which I'd called Hidden Paths, my editor, Mallory Braus, and I went through at least 50 title suggestions before she said One More Summer and I said Yes! knowing once again that there truly was a God. 

There've been other changes. I don't remember what the original was, but Charles Griemsmann, my Harlequin editor, came up with The Happiness Pact. It was brilliant. Pickle Jar Dreams became Jar of Dreams. I liked the original better, but it wasn't a hill I wanted to die on. 

There've also been titles that stuck, and for the most part, I'm glad they did. I'd love to know other people's title stories. Anybody feel like sharing?


 As I mentioned in my newsletter, a whole bunch of the titles on my Amazon page are 99 cents. Some permanent, some just for now.  Stop by and see if there are any you've missed or would like to try out my voice on. I'll appreciate it! 

I got so excited tonight. It's pretty well-known among everyone who...you know...knows me, that I'm pretty inept. I've given A+ content on Amazon three college tries and have given up each time. Whimpering. But today I created a series page! Take a look. Both Window books are in the 99-cent group, too. 




Comments

  1. Congratulations on THE END! YAY! Titles aren't ever a hill I'd be willing to die on, and I'm learning, slowly to trust the marketing experts at Tule, so although I may not always love the titles, I'm okay with whatever they believe is best. I did win the title skirmish and The Valentine Wager stayed just that. Great post, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I agree that your titles have all worked well, although there've been a few times when I would have chosen your title over the one that ended up on the book!

      Delete
  2. Titles are HARD! I haven't been thrilled with many of mine, especially later when looking back at all the titles I SHOULD have used. Although I do love my upcoming Harlequin title (can't share yet), as did my editor. Best of luck to you, and congrats on typing "The End."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on your upcoming release, Jennifer! Now I'm champing at the bit to know that title! :-)

      Delete
  3. Titles are hard. Burned had a working title of If Only for a long time. I still like the working title, but the following books in the series were easier to match up with Burned. All my wips have a working title. They’re like kids to me. I need to call them something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, and sometimes I never get past that first one, even if that's not what ends up on the cover! :-)

      Delete
  4. Suzanne is right. You need to call them something, if only to organize them on your harddrive! For better or worse, most of the titles I've come up with have remained. I had a story in the Candy Hearts Valentine series from TWRP that I originally called Puppy Love (there was an English mastiff in it), but they already had that title in their catalogue, so I changed it to Chill Out, which made sense for a winter story set in Manitoba. I wanted to call my book with Carina Press Welcome to Paradise because the small town was named Paradise, but they didn't like it. It became First and Again, and it works because it's about rekindling a first love. But I still like Welcome to Paradise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you--I like Welcome to Paradise better, too, but I suppose there are reasons no one has ever suggested I work in marketing. :-) Thanks, Jana!

      Delete

Post a Comment