Changes by Jana Richards

Photo by Fé Ngô on Unsplash

Life has been crazy busy lately, with lots of changes coming, and some already here. 

The biggest change happening this fall is that we’re going to be grandparents for the first time! Our daughter is having a baby in November and we couldn’t be happier. I can’t wait for the little nugget to get here, but until he or she arrives, (my daughter doesn’t want to know the gender of the baby) there is lots of work to do. My daughter and son-in-law decided to put in a new kitchen before they knew they were having a baby, so the house has been a construction zone for months now. I can’t help with construction, but I can paint. So far, I’ve painted the baby’s room (including about five coats of primer on a previously red wall) , a new wall between the kitchen and living room, and the kitchen ceiling. I probably still have much more painting in my future, but I’m happy to help two very busy expectant parents get their home ready for baby. Even if it means I haven’t done a lot of writing lately.

In between paint jobs, I’ve been helping to organize a baby shower with my son-in-law’s mother. Between you and me, I hate doing stuff like this. I’m lousy at party planning and I’m certainly not the world’s best baker. I got assigned baking sugar cookies frosted with pink and blue icing and a question mark since they don’t know if the baby will be a boy or girl. I baked some things, but I also cheated and bought some treats from a bakery. Hey, a grandma’s gotta do what a grandma’s gotta do. Luckily, I don’t have to decorate. I simply bought tablecloths and will let those who are good at this stuff create the centerpieces. The shower happens this weekend.

A change that has already happened is that my husband and I have added two new members to our family. Well, not so new. The two cats we adopted, two sisters, are thirteen years old. I can honestly tell you that adopting two senior cats wasn’t anywhere on my radar. But life has a funny way of throwing curveballs. 

My daughter’s friend Sarah, who we’ve known since middle school, sent my daughter a frantic text asking if my husband and I could adopt Layla and Leelou. She and her ex-husband split a couple of years ago. Sarah moved to a small condo and couldn’t keep the cats, so they stayed with the ex. Then a few weeks ago, Sarah got a visit from the police at her work with the shocking news that her ex had passed away at his home. I have no idea what happened; I didn’t know Sarah's ex, but it’s still shocking. 

Layla and Leelou

Since the cats were found in his home, Animal Services were called in and they took the girls to the Humane Society. Sarah only had eight days to claim them or they’d be surrendered to the Society for good. When Sarah made her request, my husband and I knew we had to take them. We doubted anyone would be willing to adopt such elderly cats, especially as a pair. They’ve been together all their lives and I couldn’t imagine them being separated. They deserve to have a happy and calm old age. So here we are, two seniors with two senior cats.

This is Layla, hiding under the bed, on the day the cleaning lady came over to vacuum. She can't handle it!

They definitely have different personalities. Layla, who we’ve dubbed “Grumpy Cat”, is worried about everything. Every noise frightens her, even the icemaker in my fridge. She’s very shy and I’ve really had to work hard to make friends with her, so it’s very rewarding when she comes to sit on my lap. Leelou, aka “The Cute Redhead”, is much more adventurous than her sister. She likes to explore and especially likes to cuddle. Nothing like a warm cat on your lap.

They’ve mostly settled in now. For however long we have them, I want them to be healthy and happy. My goal is for them to have a blissful retirement! 

Leelou enjoys helping me write. Usually she's right on top of my laptop!

You never know what life is going to throw at you. Sometimes it’s great, sometimes it’s unexpected, and sometimes it sucks. If things come in threes, I’m hoping that the “sometimes it sucks” part isn’t too awful. 

What’s the most unexpected thing that has happened to you in 2022?

Comments

  1. Except for the painting part, I think your changes sound wonderful--especially the new grandbaby and "the girls." It was so kind of you and your husband to take them. Wishing you all the blessings of grandmahood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz! I am definitely looking forward to grandmahood!

      Delete
  2. What's better than a new grand?? Not much, but new kitties are nice, too. Hope you have fun with "the girls" and can't wait to hear whether your grand is a boy or girl! Sometimes writing has to take a back seat to life. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nan! About 5 more weeks to go to discover the gender of our grand. Can't wait!

      Delete
    2. Wow, how things change so quickly!! I'm so excited for your first grandbaby to arrive. Now, that'll change a whole lot of things - and for the good, no doubt. The cats are so blessed to have you, Jana, just as that new grandbaby of yours will be. Congrats, get lots of sleep, and we'll all pray for a lot of energy and patience for you and your hubby. ox

      Delete

Post a Comment