"Colors Answer Feeling" by Liz Flaherty

Colors answer feeling in man... - John Sterling

I think a lot about color. Life's Too Short for White Walls got its title from the Flaherty living room, kitchen, and hallway being painted off-white for way more years than I could bear. Actually, after the first week of what seemed like acres of blandness, I'd have been okay to paint again. Now our living room and hallway are gray, and the kitchen and dining area a welcoming bright blue, all with white trim. I love every bright inch of it. 

Although I love most colors--I could illustrate life from a 24-box of Crayolas--blue is my favorite. Which blue calls loudest to me changes from day to day. I had a couple of entire seasons when everything I wore, wrote, or decorated with was teal. This Christmas, we had a white tree with royal blue lights and garland. When it was lit, the gray wall behind the tree became a soft lavender in response. I could hardly bear to take the tree down. 

I love the peacefulness of earth tones, but when orange and scarlet and shades of yellow light up autumn, it lends a bump of pure joy to that peace. 

I sew. I make quilts, but I also make things like coasters and potholders because they're quick and easy and I like to give them away. Mostly, though, I love the colors that find their way to my cutting table and arrange themselves in unexpected ways.

I took a picture the other day of a tree in the yard, standing tall and stark against the snow. There was no color in it at all other than black and white. And yet...

Colors are like our stories. They change with the light of day, with our moods, with the palette of words we tell them on. 

The working title of my work-in-progress is Pieces of Blue. Maggie North loves blue, especially cobalt and its closest cousins, and the color shows up everywhere in her story. So does the stark black and white of trees against the snow, the flat gray of a still lake in winter, and...oh, look, cardinals...

Like the work we do as writers, there is joy and unexpectedness and occasional failure in putting colors together. I wrote last week about being a lucky writer, which I am, and now here's another reason! 






Comments

  1. Liz, love the reference: "Colors are like our stories. They change with the light of day, with our moods, with the palette of words we tell them on." When I write a scene, I'll be aware of the "color." Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judy. I don't even know what made me realize how much color affects my work, but now I'm looking and listening everywhere for it!

      Delete
  2. I decorate in blue-grays and shades of brown. If left on my own, I’d probably have more white walls. I love the blank slate-feel, but I understand what you mean. Color is lovely:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother-in-law did, too, and undecorated, it gives you that wonderful blank page we're always talking about, doesn't it? I love blue-grays, but of course, I'd have to have a pop of red in there! Lol.

      Delete
  3. I'm not surprised to know you quilt. Anyone creative with writing shows it in other ways too. My mom would love hanging out with you. She loved blue too but always with a little pop of red!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I like that pop of red, too! My daughter-in-law used to have a red wall that made me just breathe easier. I do quilt, but I'm not at all good at it--like other sewing, it's just fun.

      Delete
  4. It is interesting--and telling, perhaps--what things repeatedly show up in our work. I have a lot of scenes with water. Everyone gets wet at least once in an M.J. Schiller romance! Also, lots of dancing. Like lots. And I'm NOT a dancer. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on color. Blue is my favorite, too, but I also am fond of yellow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes. I have so many people dancing in their kitchens that I'm surprised I haven't been called on it!

      Delete
  5. You have such a lyrical, and visual, way of writing that I can see everything you talk about, even your daughter-in-law's red wall!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed this reflective post, Liz. I think most of us don't realize the unconscious effect of color on your attitudes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think we do until it's in the past, and then it can be an "oh, yeah" kind of thing. Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful post, Liz. We've been trying to sort of merge our traditional warm colors with a new, cooler palette of greys. I'm not sure that it's working, but I have to admit, I love both. And I so wish I could quilt. But I'm not naturally gifted in that direction, so the learning curve is steep! I shall content myself with admiring work such as yours. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, but I wish you'd give quilting a try. You don't have to do hard things--thank goodness!--and it does lend some peace where it's needed. Thank you so much for coming by.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful, Liz, and so true! Colors make us feel. And we feel colors. Love this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment