READY, SET, GO Take a Nap by Janie DeVos

                                                


     I keep reading people’s blogs, etc. about what their plans are for 2023, and, I must admit, I’m a little annoyed with their ambitious enthusiasm over the goals they’ve set for themselves, as well as their “must-do” lists for this year.  In all honesty, I’ve still got my Christmas tree ornaments sitting in three big bowls in the guest bedroom upstairs, waiting to be boxed up and put away until next year.  I keep mumbling to myself, “I’ll put ‘em away today,” but I’ve said that for days now, and, still, there they sit. 

I’m tired.  PERIOD.  Mainly of the “having to do this today” list upon list that starts being adhered to every October.  I like getting things done in an orderly fashion, except this year that timely way of doing things was a tad more difficult—and tiring.  

First, my husband had hernia surgery, then I had cataract surgery, then our shower had to be completely torn out (down to the framing), because of a shoddy install years ago that didn’t include the proper waterproofing material.  It took nearly two weeks for the shower to be completely rebuilt and then the clean-up began...  Next, my husband broke his foot and was on crutches for seven weeks, THEN we each caught Covid (hubby first, then me).  Oh, and did I mention that all of this happened leading up to and during the holidays—holidays that I host and prepare for long before they arrive.  And once they did arrive and my husband and I were Covid-free, icy roads and frozen water pipes prevented some of the guests from being able to get here.  Somehow, though, we ended up having a lovely holiday, and, most importantly of all, every one of my loved ones was safe, healthy, warm and fed. 

But, now, friends, I’m frickin’ tired, so when my husband said he needed to go to Florida on business, I asked him to repeat what he’d just said because the heavens had opened up and the angels sang at that exact moment.  

“I’m afraid I have to leave for Florida,” he repeated, and pulling from my 9th grade drama class lessons, I responded sadly, “Oh, that’s too bad.  Well, how long will you be gone?”  It took everything Miss Montane had taught me about portraying deep emotion to pull off that sad-to-see-you-leave tone in my voice and pensive look on my face.  And ever since he pulled out of the driveway, I’ve watched seven Hallmark Christmas movies (alongside my youngest Basset who loves to watch TV), eaten frozen pizza three times for dinner, worn my Snoopy robe and doggy slippers until late morning, stayed awake too late at night reading in bed, and laid on the couch under my favorite Snoopy blanket watching football games.  With little guilt, I’ve looked back at this week and thought of the things I’ve gotten accomplished, and it ain’t much, folks, it ain’t much, at all.  

But, now, reality and the universe beckon, and I must answer, and so I started attacking the first of the unwritten-but-all-too-aware-of must-do lists for 2023, including the writing of this blog.  And that’s okay.  It’s time.  But I also know that there’s a time when we need to slow down or completely stop in order to catch our breath and that for some odd reason we feel guilty for doing so, or that we need a reason to do that.  So here’s my answer to that, just do it and apologize no more. 

One of the main ingredients of having a successful and well-accomplished year is by wanting to have a successful and well-accomplished year, but in order to do that we need to be prepared for it.  And being prepared goes far beyond lists and planning and organizing.  We should all learn to treat ourselves as well as we do our cars that require gas, tune ups and maintenance.  Perhaps if we’re as good to ourselves as we are to our 4-wheel friends, then we’ll be able to put in a whole lot of miles in the year ahead by following a not so written-in-stone itinerary, but one that allows for some unplanned and wonderful little detours along the way…and a mid-day nap every now and then, too. 

Happy New Year, everyone!

 

Comments

  1. I think maybe I like your "list" best of all, Ms. Janie. Enjoy every day. And, BTW, my Christmas tree tote is still in the living room, because my post-op husband is paranoid about me climbing the big, bad stairs I've been climbing for the 45 years we've lived here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so funny, Liz! Happy new year, happy great year, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this blog post! You nailed it. Wish I was there to have helped you, but then you wouldn't have that glorious "alone" time. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is your FL buddy by the way XO

      Delete
    2. I know exactly who this is! Wish you'd been here, too!

      Delete
  4. Hey Janey, All my Christmas ornaments are in the attic, except for the big ones that are still in the window boxes. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see you! Let me know when you're back in town. xoox

      Delete
  5. Had to laugh at the "...about portraying deep emotion to pull off that sad-to-see-you-leave tone in my voice and pensive look on my face." I wrote a blog for HuffPost entitled, "Yes, We Cheat When our Husbands Go Out of Town." And not the kind of cheating that immediately comes to mind. No, I said: "When our husbands are out of town, we can just relax. There are no "helpful suggestions" being offered, no rhetorical questions being asked, and no pressing decisions to be made (other than which flavor of Ben & Jerry's we choose to eat.)" Another connection we share, my friend! In case you would like to read it: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/yes-we-cheat-when-our-hus_b_10246980

    ReplyDelete
  6. That anonymous post is from me : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know exactly who that was! Yes, I'll be reading that post, all right!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear you, Janie! Sometimes I just don't want to do anything. And sometimes we really need a rest. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment