Starting New Habits ~ @AuthorKristina Knight

Habit. It kind of sounds like a bad word...probably because for most of our lives we're told we need to "break that bad habit". Be that habit smoking or drinking too much soda or indulging in a candy bar once too often.

One thing I've learned over time: it's much easier to learn a bad habit than it is a good one. I think because the bad habits can be so fun - I mean, who doesn't want to spend a day in the pool rather than at the office? Who doesn't want another slice of Chocolate Decadance or one more drink of that mojito? We're human. We like the things that, in many cases, aren't great for us.

According to Mr. Webster, an habit is "a behavior pattern regularly followed until it has become almost involuntary". In other words, a habit is a learned behavior, and it doesn't have to be a bad learned behavior.

I think the key to creating any habit is to begin by looking at it as a positive rather than a negative. Instead of "I can never eat chocolate again" look at it as "I'm going to enjoy one slice of the best chocolate cake ever and I'm going to enjoy every second of it". Instead of "I can never laze in the pool on a hot summer day!" think "I'm going to meet __(goal)__ before I laze in the pool this afternoon".

Y'all know I love my planner - it's so much easier to have a list of to-dos and deadlines and expectations and family events all in one place that I can keep track of. But, another thing I do is track my habits - the good and the bad. Up above you'll see the habit tracker I created a couple of years ago (feel free to download it, either here or over on my website, where it's a printable on the For Writers page). I don't fill it out every month, but I do find it helpful to use it every couple of months, just to make sure I'm doing the things I need to be doing - like exercise, like drinking enough water, like making my bed time. I'm happier, in general, when those things are going well, and I'm more likely to follow through on work goals when I'm also meeting my personal/health goals.

Here's one of my filled-out trackers. Making those checkmarks is very satisfying...and as you can see, I'm not perfect. On this one, I didn't track meals like I should (which is probably why, even though I'm hit my bed time goal, I still felt a little tired and "off" - I know that because on the flip side are my thoughts on that particular month). Trackers help me figure out how those little things are effecting the bigger things - and show me how I can make a small change to start feeling better/

Have you tried tracking your habits? Did it work for you? Share in the comments!

 

Comments

  1. I've done it with food, and it's a wonderful, wonderful thing. As long as you do it. I've also taken to tracking words written--how did that start, Nan?--and it keeps me going. Give me impetus. Thanks for the push, Kristi, whether you meant it to be one or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the post, Liz! :)

      Delete
  2. I track food and my Fitbit tracks exercise and steps. I'm totally addicted to tracking my steps to the point that if I'm shy of my daily goal, I'll walk around the house before bed just to make sure I make the goal. And yeah, Liz, I'll take the word count tracking hit. I infected you with that one. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've tracked food and steps and sometimes exercise. You learn a lot by doing those things. Tracking the calories in food makes you more aware of what you're putting in your body. The amount of calories in some foods has sometimes surprised me. I've also tracked words written but not consistently. And that's my biggest problem. Being consistent, and developing those good habits, is tough. So if you can do it, good on you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment