I didn't win, but... by Liz Flaherty

I didn't win, but...

Have you ever said this? I certainly have, because I've spent most of my life in the "didn't win" column. In the early, early days of writing, I won a few RWA contests and was thrilled with those First Place certificates. I'm glad to have won them, but I don't know where the certificates are now and I hardly ever enter contests anymore. When I do, it's on a whim and chances are I'll forget which contest it was and chances are even better I won't win. 

If I think about this a lot, I can talk myself into worrying. If I no longer win contests, does that mean I'm not as good a writer as I was 20 years ago? If I don't enter contests, am I avoiding being cast as a loser by those in the know? 

Who are those in the know?

Okay, I accept that I'm being ridiculous. I seldom enter contests anymore because I'm loath to spend the entry fee money due to the fact that promotion takes up that financial allotment plus so, so much more. But that's for another post on another day...

What is nice is that sometimes you get contest-like recognition in other places. I was thrilled when Reinventing Riley won 2022's Best Sweet Romance in the N. N. Light Book awards

This month, echoing back to the beginning statement, I didn't win, but Jana Richards and I were both nominees in Still Moments Magazine's 2022 Reader's Choice Awards. Our covers were in a nice display in this month's issue of the magazine. Jana was nominated for Strong Enough (don't you love that title?) and I made the list--in different categories--for Life's Too Short For White Walls, A Year of Firsts, and Reinventing Riley. A Christmas Town Homecoming was also nominated.

I am reminded that things are different than they used to be. Indie-publishing has changed virtually everything in the contests field. The sheer number of new releases every month is overwhelming to the most loyal of readers. The competition is more than my mind can comprehend. 

So maybe winning is different. too. Maybe winning is keeping on trying, being nominated, getting a few nice reviews, having someone say something like I just wish I could give this 10 stars.

Maybe winning is sitting down to write and having a story to tell. 

Thanks for joining the Word Wranglers. We're all winners here. And so are you. 




Comments

  1. That's an amazing amount of recognition you've received, Liz. Good for you!!! You should be so very proud of that. You're a writer who deserves all of the accolades, like, "I wish I could give it 10 stars!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that was about the nicest thing anyone ever said about one of my books in a review!

      Delete
  2. I haven't opened my copy of Still Moments yet. I'll have to check it out. I feel kind of the same way about contests. Sure I want to win, but entering is often expensive, especially if you get nothing out it, not even an honorable mention. Sometimes it means a hit to your pride, or your confidence.

    Thanks for the shout out for STRONG ENOUGH. I was trying to figure out a name for this book. Then one day I was at my Pilates class, and while we were doing a cool-down, "Strong Enough to be your man" by Sheryl Crow started playing. It was definitely one of those "aha" moments. The title perfectly captures the essence of the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most important, it makes you WANT to open that book! Congratulations on the nomination.

      Delete
    2. Jana, I love your titles. They are so intriguing.

      Delete
  3. I don't enter too many contests . I think when I was a newbie author, I needed the validation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, and the feedback was invaluable, wasn't it? I also had to learn what to keep and what to toss!

      Delete
  4. I'd say you are a winner, Liz--look at that list up there! And...you're always a winner in my book in all the things that matter most! Hugs, baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liz, you are the real deal. You are honest, humble, and see things with a pretty darned clear eye. As a relative newbie with only two books published, I would enter more contests, but...the humorous cozy mystery genre is the Rodney Dangerfield of publishing...does not get too much serious consideration or respect. I have stopped entering contests. I take my cues from reviews and reader comments to gage my writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Susie. What a super, super compliment. It beats the heck out of a contest win. I know what you mean about the Rodney Dangerfield! When I published collections of Window Over the Sink essays, I found out they really don't belong anywhere. But I love humorous cozy, and yours will definitely go far.

      Delete
  6. I'll give my two cents here. First of all, Liz, your books are thought-provoking with relatable characters and a realistic romance. What I love most about your books are how it's like sitting down with old friends.

    As for the contests, I think most of us do those contests for validation, like what Charlotte mentioned. The entry fee is ridiculous for most of these contests, especially when you don't even get an honorable mention. When Mr. N and I were brainstorming what we wanted to do for an award, we decided that all an author needed to do is get a review. The amount paid is the 'entrance fee' but only those books who receive a five star rating (or five plus stars) are eligible for the yearly awards. We award only the best books we've read and the decision is done by our staff. Those other contests are a cash grab, in my opinion.

    You're right, we're all winners!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love what you and Mr. N do, Nancy. You're wonderful for the industry! In truth, going back to my days in a small RWA chapter, the contest (Opening Gambit) was how we earned money for programs. I felt like most of the RWA contests delivered a quality product in feedback and promotional use. I'm not so sure now, and, like we've all said...too much money. I felt like that was one mistake RWA made; even when the entries could be electronic, the entry fees were terrible. Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  7. Getting out of bed every morning is a win in my book! Personally, I LOVE the way you write. You have that little bit of sarcasm that I appreciate, funny, but not harsh, and your characters are very compelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Mary! And, yes to the getting out of bed. And STAYing out of bed. Lol.

      Delete
  8. Love reading your stuff. Your book titles are intriguing and make one wonder about the stories. Winning to me is being able to share my stories. Maybe it's a little Pollyanna but I. Just thankful I'm in a world where there are indie publishers out there to help my stories see the little of day beyond my little corner of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you! And I love Pollyanna. :-) Thank you for coming by.

      Delete
  9. When I entered contests, it was mainly to get feedback from impartial readers. But the few I placed in always made me feel really, really good. LOL I do have the framed certificate from the WD writing contest when I placed in the top 100 (out of 900+) in the Script category. That was a huge lift for a long time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes that lift is wonderful. I remember a couple of times in either the Golden Heart or the RITA when I placed in the lower 50 percent. I thought I'd never get over it!

      Delete

Post a Comment