Notes from an Author Retreat



I just got back from a week in California and whew, am I ever feeling the pangs of jet lag and having stayed up for over 40 hours on the way home due to airline chaos that wasn't the best way to end an otherwise lovely trip. A long night in the Denver airport aside, it was a fantastic trip.

My publisher sponsored a Tule Author Retreat for any Tule author who was able to come to San Juan Capistrano for four days last week. Jane Porter, the owner and publisher of Tule had tried to get us together about three years ago, then Covid hit and blew that, so this event was long-awaited by all of us who attended. 

The retreat was in a gorgeous hotel--the Inn at the Mission and yes, it was just as spectacular as the website shows. I shared a room with fellow Tuligan, Carol Light, who writes mysteries for Tule Mystery, and we had a great time together. We were practically strangers when we met at the airport on Sunday, but by the time Wednesday rolled around, we'd discovered we were truly kindred spirits. She's not only an amazing writer, but she's also good, good company. 


Jane and Cyndi had planned enough events to keep us busy, but not so much that we felt rushed, which was great. It gave us plenty of time to meet our fellow Tule authors and get to know one another. We all of us talked ourselves hoarse as we sat around the bar or in the little hotel café or simply gathered in one of the "living rooms" of the hotel to talk writing and story and marketing and promotion.

The town of San Juan Capistrano is absolutely charming. Like a fairy tale village with shops and restaurants and a rich history. We toured the old mission there, which was extraordinary and had beautiful gardens. Jane set up tea for us at sweet tea house--also surrounded by the most amazing flowers and trees. The food was delicious everywhere we ate and I was sure I'd gained at least five pounds while I was there. As it turned out, I didn't... I think all the walking saved me.

Carol and I were sad to say goodbye, particularly since she doesn't live in the Midwest, but we'll see each other again and until then, there is always emails, texts, and phone calls. I know we'll keep in touch and I'm very glad.

The rest of the week in California I spent with my sister at my brother's house in Woodland Hills. Totally different vibe than SJC. It's very LA there--lots of money and huge fancy houses. He and his wife have a very nice condo and we talked and spent time together. On Saturday, we went to Santa Monica Pier with Bro, SIL, and their kids and grandkids. Great fun! IT was hot, hot, hot there, so the beach was packed. I think all of SoCal decided to hit SMP on Saturday. But it was fun to see the ocean and we had a fabulous meal at a place just up the street from SMP called Gladstone's

All in all, a fun, fun trip and even the loooooong trip home had its moments. I was awfully glad to see Husband and get to the lake to see Son, DIL, and Grandboy. I have a book signing up here on Sunday so lots to prepare for, plus a couple of editing gigs I need to work on, promotion for the August 17 release of Meet Me In River's Edge, revisions on Make You Mine, and starting on Joey and Kara's story. Are you exhausted just reading this to-do list? Yeah, me, too. 

Until next time!

Nan


Comments

  1. I am definitely exhausted reading your list! Sounds like you had a wonderful time in California. What a great place to have a retreat!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment