Summer Reading, Having a Blast...

by Margie Senechal 

Word Wranglers began a new schedule this month and wouldn’t you know I forgot to post on my day—the 12th.  I’m only off by a couple of days. There’s just something about Fridays…

We’d decided to talk about Summer reads and of course, I have a few.

But, first I want to talk about summer writing. As in, I’m actually doing it. Yay me. I’m also subbing Suitcases. If anyone wants to beta read, contact me and I’ll send you an electronic copy. Beta reading means that you read it and let me know what you think. Honest opinions only. 

Anyway, back to the writing that isn’t ready to be read.

I started a new remote job a year ago. I set up a brand new L-shaped desk adjacent to my writing desk. Guess what? Not much writing happened in my corner cubicle. Because once I sat my butt in the chair, my mind automatically switched into work mode, even if I still had 30+ minutes before clocking in.

Sometimes, I moved my laptop to the kitchen table. Obviously, because I finished my book. But for the most part, I found I wasn’t getting into my writing mode quite as easily or writing quite as often. I was easily distracted if I wasn’t fully immersed.

A couple of months ago, JV decided she needed a new dresser because the vanity she’d been using didn’t function well for her needs. The vanity is actually part of my bedroom set. I had a lightbulb moment in that if I did some moving of things out and squishing other things together, that maybe I could rehome the vanity as a writing desk.

Last week, I finally took the jump and I’m so glad I did. I’m able to get up, shower, and sit down to write before I go out for breakfast. It may be all mental, but writing is a mental craft. And I’m loving converting this vanity into another desk. We writers love our writing spaces. I’m able to put pictures of inspiration up on the mirror—I expect it will fill up sooner than later. I find myself sneaking objects from my cubicle desk to my writing desk. I’m very covert as to not ruffle the previous desk.

So besides my book, I do have some summer book recommendations.

My favorite book so far is Rebecca Yarros’ Fourth Wing. Imagine Divergent with dragons. Over Memorial day weekend, I went to the beach with my mom and sisters and spent more time reading than socializing.  Note to self—don’t bring such a good book to the beach.

I also enjoyed Christina Lauren’s The True Love Experiment and Susan Wigg’s Welcome to Beach Town.

On my nightstand to read are The Mostly True Story of Tanner and Louise by Colleen Oakley, Hello Strangers by Katherine Center, Emily Henry's Happy Place, and The Summer of Songbirds by Kristy Woodson Harvey. Apparently, all my favorite writers got together and decided to publish books this summer.

If you’re enjoying some good books, let me know and if you want to read my book, let me know.

 Happy summer!

Comments

  1. As always, I love your post! So anxious to hear how it goes with Suitcases. And you're so right--writing spaces are so important!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anonymous (Liz?) I'm anxious to see how Suitcases goes as well. LOL

      Delete
  2. I agree about writing being a totally mental thing. If I'm not in a good frame of mind, I can't write. Same with the writing space. It has to be just right.

    Several years ago I had a mental block when it came to making changes to a manuscript. I was afraid if I erased something and rewrote it, it might be worse than it was originally, and then I've lost it forever. Consequently, I was stuck and couldn't make needed edits. Finally, I got the bright idea to save a copy of any scenes/chapters that I need to make substantial changes to in a file called "Leftovers." I now have a file called "Leftovers" for every book I've written for at least the last ten years. And in all that time, I've only once gone back into the file and pulled out the original piece of writing. But in my brain I still have to make that copy, just in case. It's all a mind game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have leftover files too--digital and paper. I might be a writing hoarder. For Bix, I've saved all my notes on each of the eight incarnations. It's probably a little ridiculous. But, he's my boy. lol

      Delete

Post a Comment