Existing in the Query Trenches

 by Margie Senechal

I loved the submission process of Bix. I guess because it was somewhat successful in that I had a query letter that kicked butt. I was able to encapsulate the character and his voice within three short paragraphs and my sample pages begged the reader to ask for more. It was the more part that failed me. After about fifty pages or so, I consistently wrote Bix right off the cliff--at least where the agents (AKA gatekeepers) were concerned. Oh, but they loved those first 50 pages. 

While Suitcases is a better book than Bix, I feel like my query letter is a bit lackluster. It also seems like response time is dragging compared to 2014. And--always an and--the agents who said, "Hey, query me with your next effort" are no longer agenting. Maybe I shouldn't have taken 8+ years to finish my next submittable book. 

I do not like the querying process anymore, Sam-I-Am. I want people to read my book and throw money at me. Is that too much to ask?

Wednesdays are my 'me' days. I get to choose what I want to do with this particular day off. (My family would say that I decide what I want to do on all my days off) 

I especially love it when I haven't made plans ahead of time and just kick back and take things as they come. Right now, I'm kicking back after spending three or four hours (seriously) querying five agents. Only five. 

I had to do a little research on every single one so I could add a tidbit of personalization--oh, you'll love this because there's this Soul Retriever who is playing Cupid to match up the amputee with PTSD and the girl who collects suitcases compulsively. Who doesn't want to read that??

I had a note on one of the prescreened agents that she wanted books set in the Pacific NW, which is my book. Did I remember to mention that? Uhm--no. Although, my bio says I live in the PNW, so maybe she'll get the gist. Geez.

Throwing out these queries is my version of a lottery ticket. My soul thrives on the "what-if" of life, and queries (for a writer) are one of the biggest what-ifs we have. What if an agent loves my book? What if they decide to represent me? What if they sell my book for millions (hey, I said it was my lottery ticket, stay with me now)? What if Reese wants to feature it and then film it? What if I meet Reese???

Right now, I have about twelve lottery tickets (queries) that I'm waiting to hear back on. Well, I guess actually eleven because I inadvertently queried the same agent twice. Which ranks right up there with I spelled her name wrong.

And the truth is, I hate eating up hours with queries instead of putting words on a page. I'd rather write than do almost anything--sometimes one just has to clear the voices in one's head. Although, in my current WIP, I've gotten to the "big bad" and I want to gloss over it and get to the reconciliation. I hate having someone mad at me--even characters. 

If anyone wants to read a doc file of Suitcases, let me know. I'll send it to you. At this point, I just want someone to read it. Otherwise, why write?

Stay safe and cool as we ride out September. Have a great weekend!





Comments

  1. Hi Margie. Good for you for finishing your manuscripts and putting them out there. I know it's frustrating, but these days, if you don't get a bite from an agent it's not the end of the world. You can pitch to a small publisher or even self-publish, if you're so inclined. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jana. I have a long stretch off before Christmas, so if nothing is in the fire, that might be a good time to do some research on smaller publishers in between baking :)

      Delete
  2. Hi, Margie. I feel all of this. All of it. I'm in wait right now, with publishers, and it's driving me right...over...the...edge. Good thoughts coming your ways, and a reminder that Suitcases is Really, Really Good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thank you, comrade in arms. Just the smallest of nibbles would be enough sustain me at this point.

      Delete
  3. Someone will respond with, "Send me the full!" I'm sure of it. Suitcases is a terrific story. Hang in there and maybe start writing something new?? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always writing something new. Right now, I'm vacillating between the France story--an extension of the short story and a middle grade idea that is quite timely. We'll see...Thank you for your cheers!

      Delete
  4. Hi Margie! I remember reading Bix all those years ago. It was such a fun story. I'm glad you've kept writing and are putting yourself back out into the trenches. I've heard the querying is especially tough at the moment with longer than usual response times, so try as best as you can to take care of yourself throughout the process. If you want an extra set of eyes on your query and first pages I'd be more than happy to help. You certainly helped me out when I was going through all my publishing traumas with Staircase! Regardless, wishing you much luck in the query process . Cheers, Stacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacy! Did I ever tell you how much I loved Remember Me Gone? I would love another set of eyes. I'll be in touch. Thank you!

      Delete

Post a Comment