The Stockings Were Hung


 by Margie Senechal

Since its December and Christmas is everywhere, I thought I’d share my family’s favorite tradition.

After my daughter was born, my mom announced that this was the last year she was doing stockings. The horror! No stockings? I still got mine from Mike but as much as I love my husband, stockings were not his strength. He’s gotten better in the almost forty years we’ve been married.

My sisters both younger and single didn’t have anyone to do their stockings. So somewhere in the desperation, I suggested we draw names and exchange stockings. I’m sure both my sisters will claim the idea came from one of them, but it was my idea. All mine. Or maybe not.

It was just our immediate family to begin with. There were six of us and everyone pitched in a present for Kristen’s (and later, Jordan’s and even later, my nephews’) stocking. My uncle joined in after the first year whenever he was planning to visit over Christmas. Which was quite frequently in the early years of the stocking exchange due to the health of my grandparents.

You wanted Les to draw your name as much as you didn’t want to draw his name. How do you find something for the man who has everything he wants or needs? The year Les drew my name, I received a trip to Disneyland for four. The girls were six and nine when we flew down the following spring. The year he drew Mike’s name, we got a trip to Reno (when Reno was still fun).

When Alec joined the family, he tried, but he really didn’t understand our love of stockings. He opted out years ago. As the kids have gotten older, they’ve joined in and have grown into worthy stocking stuffers. This year will be Evan’s wife, Graci’s first year.

This year we decided that we’re only doing stockings ($100) and a gift for the white elephant exchange ($50). Not having to buy for everyone has turned into a blessing. It’s been a lot more fun to hunt down quality gifts and little things for my nephew, Kyle, rather than having to spread out the budget and time amongst us all.

Also on the plus side, I’m done with my official shopping and we’re not even halfway through the month. Which is a good thing since the hose on my power steering decided to take a vacation. And while Mike’s car is available, it’s a shift. And I really don’t like driving a stick unless it’s some sort of emergency.

Friday is my last day of work until the 27th and I plan to bake, write, and query. Rinse and repeat. Maybe I won’t even miss my car.

Merry Christmas to you and yours. If you live in my hood, reach out, I might have holiday treats available.

Comments

  1. Oh, Margie, I do love your stories. I'd have loved your uncle, too! Lol. What great traditions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My uncle is great. He tells stories like no one else, and his charisma lights up the room.

      Delete
  2. How fun! We're donating our gift money to the refugees in Romania this year, but you've inspired me--I'm going to make a stocking for each of the kids to have on Christmas morning full of little fun stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy I inspired you! I love that. Have fun finding prezzies.

      Delete
  3. I love this Margie. Merry Christmas to you and your family ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment