Skip to main content

The Power of Reviews


Want to talk about reviews? All authors, every last one of us, is aware of the power of reviews--both good and bad. I don't know if everyone reads their reviews as faithfully as I do. I've heard authors say they never read reviews. How do they do that? I read every single one. What about you? Do read reviews?

I think reviews are important and maybe they're too important to me, but I want to know what readers are thinking. I use their opinions to build and create the world in River's Edge and to hone my characters. I love how invested readers are in my little river town and if someone really hates something that happens there, I want to try to figure out why. 

Not that I intend to change my stories for one reviewer, but the point of view of reader/reviewers can give me pause as I'm creating my fictional world. 

Am I too spicy to call my romances sweet? I don't think so... That door gets closed every single time, but the reality of my characters attraction, the fact that they are going to have sex is the real world. In this culture, two people in their thirties or forties will be sleeping together or even living together without being married. That said, I try to make it clear that they are committed, even if they don't know it yet.

  Do I use too many curse words? Nah--the occasional crap and damn are again a real-world thing and I try so very hard to keep it real--well as real as you can in a happily-ever-after romance. 

What about the occasional dark moments? The tornado in Falling for the Doctor? The disgruntled ex-employee threatening violence on the heroine and hero in Make You Mine? The death of a beloved grandparent in Make It Real? Should I be putting trigger warnings on those kinds of stories. I'm not convinced. I don't really think of those as triggering events so much as everyday life. If something bothers a reader, I'm sorry, but stuff happens and we deal with it, and so do my characters. 

Mostly, nearly always, reviews are kind and positive and tell me that readers are falling in love with River's Edge all over again every time they visit. I love that! I love hearing that they want to move to River's Edge, eat at Mac's diner and take a walk along the River Walk. It delights me when readers say they've fallen in love with Joe Walker or grumpy Becker Lange or that they love how strong Kara Sudbury is or how much fun it was to see Kitt and Rye banter. 

I write for me, but I love that readers are all onboard, too! That makes it even more fun to sit down each morning and take a trip to River's Edge. My hope is that we'll all be there together for a long time to come! Next trip is October 24 with Cameron Walker and newcomer, Harper Gaines in a Christmas love story that I hope will touch your heart. 

Made for Mistletoe

This Christmas he has big plans until he meets a beautiful distraction….

 Army reservist Cameron Walker loves everything about the holidays in River’s Edge—celebrating with his big family and carving out more time to work on his custom design furniture in his studio. But when he meets a visiting artist and niece of a family friend, he’s eager to break his work plans for play. He knows first-hand life’s short.

 Teacher and artist Harper Gaines is bowled over by the handsome and friendly finish carpenter she meets during her vacation. His admiration for her art and his enthusiasm for life light her up, and remind her of how much she’s been missing since her soldier husband’s death. But when she discovers Cam’s also a soldier, she retreats, unable to risk another loss.

 Cam has never felt such a strong connection, and he won’t give up without a fight. But will Cam’s persistence and the magic of Christmas be enough to convince Harper to take a chance on them?

 Preorder here

Comments

  1. I really wish reviews were less important than they are because, at the end of the day and at the very best of times, they're still subjective. That being said, I appreciate the people who take the time to give them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment