Can't Please Everyone by Jana Richards

https://books2read.com/Unexpected-by-Jana-Richards

 Last time I blogged here at Word Wranglers I was celebrating the release of my newest book, UNEXPECTED. Perhaps ‘celebrated’ is not quite the right word. Of course, I was thrilled that the book made it out into the world. But I was apprehensive about reading reviews. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’m proud of this book. But it deals with some really heavy subjects – death, disease, family dysfunction, divorce – all the big Ds. It’s not going to be everyone’s cup of tea. 

For the most part, the reviews have been positive. A lot of readers really “got” the book and loved it. Others were exasperated with my hero, Ben. After growing up in a dysfunctional family with a sociopathic mother and an alcoholic father, Ben has serious trust issues. He gives the heroine, Jamie, a real hard time, even though he loves her with everything he has. He also deeply distrusts his former in-laws who want to maintain a relationship with their granddaughters, who Ben is raising. He’s afraid they’re going to take them away from him.

Consequently, a lot of people didn’t like Ben. Some came around in the end because he finally learns to trust and gets his happily ever after with Jamie. Others couldn’t get over some of his behavior. And still others, found the book depressing. I had a 3-star review that said the book was depressing but well written, which I really appreciated. Like I said, this book deals with some heavy topics. It’s not all sunshine and roses, so all these reactions are perfectly legit.

I didn’t set out to depress anyone. I really didn’t intend to get into such serious subjects, but somehow the plot took me there. Once I was there, I was all in. I had to give Ben believable reactions for someone who had grown up in such a deeply dysfunctional family. I had to make him really work for his happily ever after. But he gets there. To me, the book is about overcoming hardships. It’s about hope. But I might be a little biased. 

Personally, I am in love with Ben. As I was writing him, I envisioned Justin Hartley, Kevin from This is Us. Like Kevin, Ben is also deeply flawed, but he’s loving person. Ben adores his two stepdaughters and would do anything for them. He’s a protective, loving brother. He can be funny. In the end, he’s the perfect partner for Jamie. But it takes him a while to get there. 

Right now, I’m putting the finishing touches on Strong Enough, the fourth and final book in the Masonville series. Is it dealing with heavy topics? Yes, it is. Ben’s brother Damon grew up in the same family, after all. But he’s a different person who has different perceptions. I’m hoping he’s a much more likable hero. To paraphrase Sally Field, "I want readers to like my characters. I REALLY want them to like my characters!"

After this series is finished, I think I’m going to write something light and fun. I have a time travel series partially done that I want to get back to. But I won’t guarantee some serious things won’t happen! 

As a reader, do you gravitate toward serious, true-to-life stories, or do you prefer something more lighthearted?  

St. Peter's Abbey, where I'm supposed to be this weekend.

P.S. This weekend I was supposed to be at a writing retreat with friends in Saskatchewan. Unfortunately, it had to be cancelled because the Covid numbers are frighteningly high there right now. So, I’m feeling a little blue. I didn’t make the retreat with the Word Wranglers in August in North Carolina and now this. Colour me disappointed. 😢

Comments

  1. What a thought-provoking post this is. Right now I'm listening to the audiobook of One More Summer, my deepest story ever, and I still love both the story and the characters because of the realness. Depressing things happened in that book, too. It's NOT going to be everyone's cup of tea (and I haven't read yours yet--it's waiting patiently), but for those of us who want to experience the stories as opposed to just reading them, I think "serious, true-to-life" is a wonderful way to go. And just as in real life, they can still be funny--it's the lighthearted times that get us through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you've intrigued me about One More Summer. It's one of yours I haven't read yet. I tried to give some lighthearted moments in Unexpected as well, especially in some of the dialogue between Ben and Jamie. I think it's in those moments that Ben reveals who he really is!

      Delete
  2. Great post, Jana--it makes you wonder what romance readers really want. Sometimes reviews complain about them being frivolous and yet, depth of emotion can also make readers whine. I'm glad you wrote the book the way you saw the story--that's important because how can you tell the story of your heart if your heart isn't in it? I'm on my way to grab it from Amazon--you've intrigued me. <>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan, if readers are like me, sometimes what I want changes, depending on my mood. At times, all I want is something light-hearted. Another day I'm ready to tackle a more intense book. Of course some readers will only ever read books that are light-hearted and that's okay. Different strokes, you know? I hope you enjoy Unexpected!

      Delete

Post a Comment